Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Hot Break & Cold Break

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2010, 12:43 AM   #11
King of Cascade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You said it did go away after time?
Chill haze will not go away over time and could actually get worse. I think your problem is yeast in suspension.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2010, 02:27 AM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4950 Times on 3586 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Cascade View Post
You said it did go away after time?
Chill haze will not go away over time and could actually get worse. I think your problem is yeast in suspension.
Chill haze certainly does go away over time- if the keg/bottles are kept chilled, the haze precipitates out and goes away completely. It takes a bit of time, usually a couple of weeks or so.

Of course, this thread is 3 years old so I'm sure either the chill haze was gone, or the beer was gone, long before now.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
jabergess Likes This 
Old 08-08-2010, 03:53 AM   #13
King of Cascade
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Chill haze certainly does go away over time- if the keg/bottles are kept chilled, the haze precipitates out and goes away completely. It takes a bit of time, usually a couple of weeks or so.

Of course, this thread is 3 years old so I'm sure either the chill haze was gone, or the beer was gone, long before now.

Yeah….. I just looked it up, you’re right, but if a constant low temp is not keep the polyphenols and proteins could bond permanently and cause permanent chill haze.

That’s funny. I didn’t see how old this thread is. I imagine the beer is gone by now…lol

Old 08-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #14
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

So, it's good to have all of those proteins floating around in the primary? I did my first AG lager this weekend and I had a lot of proteins coming through my siphon, much more than usual. I used irish moss. Will all of this settle to the bottom of my primary before I rack?

Old 08-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #15
King of Cascade
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
So, it's good to have all of those proteins floating around in the primary? I did my first AG lager this weekend and I had a lot of proteins coming through my siphon, much more than usual. I used irish moss. Will all of this settle to the bottom of my primary before I rack?
You are using a cf chiller correct? Most likely its cold break that is in your beer. It will compact on the bottom and you rack off when you transfer or bottle.

* Irish moss will help form more of a break

Reason: *added

Old 08-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #16
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I used an immersion chiller, but I'm still expecting it to compact before I transfer.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #17
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4646 Times on 4548 Posts
Likes Given: 2268

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Cascade View Post
You are using a cf chiller correct? Most likely its cold break that is in your beer. It will compact on the bottom and you rack off when you transfer or bottle.

* Irish moss will help form more of a break

Cold break would end up in the fermenter but once cold break forms, those proteins are no longer soluble. The issue as I understand is if you do not get a good break these proteins do not denature and will stay in suspension, which is why you will see chill haze.

If you get good hot and cold break it won't matter if some of the material ends up in the fermenter or even in the bottle (obvious not ideal) as they will not re-suspend. They are just as they have been described... denatured insoluble proteins

Irish Moss << Whirlflocc << SuperMoss

Old 08-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #18
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4646 Times on 4548 Posts
Likes Given: 2268

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
I used an immersion chiller, but I'm still expecting it to compact before I transfer.

As soon as turn the gas off I see hot break starting to clump and drop out of suspension. I give it a nice whirlpool and start transferring through my CFC immediately. I wouldn't ever describe the trub pile to be "compacted" but it certainly precipitates pretty quickly. While using CFC vs immersion will lead to some of the material getting into my fermenter, I dump the trub after 2 days in primary and carry on as usual, so it doesn't bother me one bit.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #19
shamilton
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Floating Somethings?!

Alright, like the first post in the entire thread...perhaps this is the same thing, or maybe it is something different, so here it goes:

So I decided to try and make my first all-grain, light lager today. I used 7.5 lbs. of Pilsen 2-Row Malt, 1 lb. Vienna Malt, and .5 lbs. Carapils. I followed this mash-schedule:

122 – 140 – 155 degrees F (thirty minutes at each)

When it came to the boil, I noticed something I’ve never noticed in the all-grain ales I’ve done. There were tons and tons of small little floating things. At first, I thought they were just the proteins that would disappear after the hot-break, but then they remained there till the very end.

I recirculated my wort numerous times, so I am almost certain that it is not grain that slipped through my mash-tun. I am thinking it has to do something with this new Pilsen malt I’ve never used before. When I got a bunch of the floating things in my hand, I could mash them together; very pliable, almost like drudge from the hops on the walls of a primary, so they couldn’t have been grain husks. Remember, they were there before any hop addition too, so I don’t think that it came from the hops either.

Could someone PLEASE tell me what this stuff is? And if you know, how do I get rid of it? Or will it do it automatically after I rack to the secondary and then to the keg?

Appreciate it,

Cheers!

Old 08-26-2010, 03:15 AM   #20
3PegBrew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I wish I could go back in time and tell my long ago ancestors to discover gypsum and irish moss' effects on beer production. Then once discovering it get some sort of rights to its distribution haha. oh I'm such a dreamer when I drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
Hitler gave the toothbrush 'stache a bad name...
My Keezer Build

Aller guten dinge sind drei!

Quick Reply