The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Horrible flow on new false bottom

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
VTDuffman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd1971 View Post
Well, initially I think I had the elbow pick up screwed too far down which was pressing against the bottom of the cooler & preventing ANY flow. There was zero movement. Then, in my water test, I dialed the elbow back so it was just barely screwed in & should have plenty of clearance & there was just a trickle.

I've attached a pic of the setup. One clamp is just sitting loose as I've been fiddling with it.
Is this a 10 Gal cooler? You might want to try testing it with more than 2 gal of water. Might not be enough force of gravity to start the flow. I have a very similar set-up to yours (mine is a metal elbow) and don't usually have any problems with drainage. I did in my last batch, but that's because the spigot was clogged with some rogue grains.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #12
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Try drilling a couple holes in the threads of your plastic elbow below the FB. That's what I had to do to solve this problem.
Even with only water, the vacuum can sometimes be enough to pull that elbow onto the bottom and block your flow. With grain weight on top of it, it's almost guaranteed.
Technically your LHBS should be selling those elbows with the holes in them already. I know mine does.

Secondly, when I put in my water in to pre-heat my MLT, I tap the false bottom with my mash paddle and circulate a little bit of water through the valve to make sure that there is no air in there.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #13
E-Mursed
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Your problem most likely is that the tubing you are using, while it is made for high temp, is being crushed by the weight of the grain bed.

I have that type of hi-temp silicone tubing and it should only be used outside of the tun or any other vessel.

What you want is the opaque and more rigid silicone tubing.

Follow this link to see what I am talking about....

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/38-HE...oll-P3039.aspx

Change your tubing and you should get great results, like I did today.

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” – Leonardo da Vinci
"A set back is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently" - Henry Ford

Old 05-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #14
Brewsephus
Recipes 

We're you by chance at the Home-brew Emporium in Weymouth ma? Stopped in today and while I was picking up my grain the guy was telling me about this guy who had a stuck mash during the free ingredient event.

"You'll drink it, and you'll LIKE IT!"

Bottled: Sunset Kolsch
Bottled: Deja Vu Pale Ale
Bottled: HopScotch IPA
Bottled: Full Curl Scotch Ale Clone
Primary: Troll Toll English IPA

Old 05-09-2012, 02:35 AM   #15
E-Mursed
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Also, increasing the length of transfer hose outside your mash tun will promote a better siphon as long as you have the lowest level of your mash tun above the vessel you are transferring to.

This can take you from a trickle to a much more favorable stream.

Another tip is to not try to eek out every last drop from your mash tun. If you are using Brewsmith, you can adjust your deadspace and allow yourself a little more room between the bottom of your mash tun and your false bottom. You will get a better transfer and not have your false bottom sucking the bottom of your mash tun.

I have made the same mistakes and as you I am now able to tell you all this from experience on my part. Once you make these simple changes, you will be surprised how much better your mash tun works.

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” – Leonardo da Vinci
"A set back is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently" - Henry Ford

Quick Reply