Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Hopspider hardware

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
kansas_cty_shfl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Hopspider hardware

So I built a hopspider yesterday and have been second guessing things ever since. My major reservation is that I used galvanized bolts, nuts and washers so now I'm concerned something will leach off into my beer. Obviously it's not touching the wort but does get hot hanging out above everything. Am I being paranoid or should I swap all this out for something else?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
static
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I would switch out to stainless for 2 reasons. Longevity and peace of mind. Just my 2 cents. Stainless hardware is a little more expensive, galvanized will rust eventually in a moist environment and personally my peace of mind is worth the couple of extra bucks. It shouldn't be more than a days lunch money if your on a tight budget. I know i could skip a couple of lunches.

The yeast knows what it's doing.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
somedudefromguam
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 53

If its galvanized it shouldnt rust for a while. Wire fences are usually galvanized, and you dont see very many rusty ones. You don't see it used in food applications very often. I remember in high school metal shop teach told me not to weld on galvanized steel because it would emit toxic fumes. I think you would be fine taking your time, maybe eventually replacing with stainless. But, if its not touching the wort, probably don't have to.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
CS223
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Ever hear of galvanized water pipe? You'll be fine. The galvanizing coating is zinc, stainless would be better but for non contact, I wouldn't sweat it.

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS