Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Hops, use, save, or discard?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
LouBrew13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Default Hops, use, save, or discard?

I have made a few beers recently that didn't exactly have 1 oz hop additions. So now I'm left with odds and ends of hops in my fridge. If I don't plan on making the recipe again for awhile, what should I do with them? Would it hurt to throw an extra half or quarter oz in my boil? Perhaps for a little less time so as not to extract too much alpha acids? By the time I use them again, I'm thinking they may be stale and therefore useless. Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
cmybeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

In the past I've saved them to use later taped up in the freezer. At some point just tossed together a recipe with what I had on hand from bits and pieces here and there. You can also find a hop substitution chart so you may be able to do another recipe and sub in the bit of hops that you have left without having to buy new ones.

If you do toss them in the boil do it carefully. If its a hop bomb like an IPA just go for it. If it doesn't have any late addition hops think about it first and make sure you want some aroma/flavor added. You may like it even though it would drive the SJCP style brewers crazy.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I say make an IPA and add them as you wish, and see how it turns out..

Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Old 06-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I've been curious on this too. A friend and I just went in on a good sized hop buy, 3lbs. each, and I already have about 12oz. of EKG sitting in the fridge. Do they lose their aroma over time, flavor, any bittering, or all of the above? My neighbor declined to get in on the hop buy because he said they'd "go stale" before he used them up (he brews lagers mostly and not very often).

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBrew13 View Post
If I don't plan on making the recipe again for awhile, what should I do with them?

why do you need a recipe for the scraps at all?

a couple times a year when i have 5-6 lbs of extract, 1/2-1lb of random specialty grains and a few onces of hop scraps, I brew it just to clean up storage.

the mystery ales often come out quite well.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
tre9er
Recipes 

My neighbor has also been saying that he'll use almost anything with a higher alpha content as bittering hops since the flavor and aroma is mostly gone via the boil. That helps to get rid of some hops without greatly affecting flavor/aroma.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
LouBrew13
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Unfortunately I'm not a hop head. IPA is probably never gonna be made by me. I suppose I could organize a swap at my next club meeting. That might be a really great idea actually. I'm sure that some of the best beers were made with a"what about this?"mentality.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 721 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
My neighbor has also been saying that he'll use almost anything with a higher alpha content as bittering hops since the flavor and aroma is mostly gone via the boil. That helps to get rid of some hops without greatly affecting flavor/aroma.
i'd start with this. keep track of the hops' AA%, and sub them in for whatever bittering hops your upcoming recipe calls for. bittering hops don't add much flavor or aroma, so it doesn't matter much what kind you use. you can use several different kinds if you don't have enough of 1 type to provide your required IBUs. use an recipe calculator, like hopville.com or beersmith, to calculate how much to use.

it's also an excellent excuse to try your hand at coming up with a recipe. "leftovers ale" can turn out great, and i think it's something you can be extra-proud of. more rewarding that following someone's recipe... but that's just me. i realize not everyone subscribes to that mentality.

and finally, you could consider getting a food-saver or some other type of vacuum-sealer. once vac-sealed in a bag, the hops will last for months in the freezer.

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 06-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
it's also an excellent excuse to try your hand at coming up with a recipe. "leftovers ale" can turn out great, and i think it's something you can be extra-proud of. more rewarding that following someone's recipe... but that's just me. i realize not everyone subscribes to that mentality.
+1. I made a "leftovers ale" with stuff a friend had laying around once. It was a pale ale, brown in color but sessionable with good balance. I've made other on-the-fly recipes that have elements of this brew because I liked the way it turned out.

American 2-row 8
American Victory 1
Belgian Aromatic 1
American Crystal 60 0.5

Mash 153

Fuggles 0.5@60
Kent Goldings 0.75@60
Fuggles 0.5@30
Fuggles 0.5@Dry

Chico (US-05, WL001, WY1056) yeast, fermented low 60's.

Quote:

Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #10
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 38

My girlfriend and I just did. Called it garbage pale ale. Leftover hops, some 2 row and 2 pounds of smoke malt. One of the best beer we've made.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS