The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Hops/maltose utilization

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 06:18 AM   #1
lordbeermestrength
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Hops/maltose utilization

Hey all,

I have an awesome extract american IPA recipe. What made it work so well was a method I tried in which I boiled a 'hop tea' first (about 4 gallons, with 2 oz of hops) then added a light, liquid malt extract and continued as normal from that point with a 60 minute boil, adding more hops additions at 20 mins and 10 mins(then dry hopping later).

I have since switched to all grain. I understand that I will, as a matter of course, not get the same exact beer. I however would like to make it as close as possible.

Here's my thought. Boil up the hop tea as normal, then use that as my sparge water. The problem I am anticipating is that the utilization will be lower because the sparge water will already be partially saturated with hops oils, thereby leaving the sparge that much less efficient.

Anybody have any thoughts? Is this a good plan? Or am I just overthinking this?

Beer, happy Produce of our Isle/Can sinewy Strength impart,
And wearied with Fatigue and Toil/Can cheer each manly Heart.
Labour and Art upheld by Thee/Successfully advance,
We quaff Thy balmy Juice with Glee/And Water leave to France.
Genius of Health, thy grateful Taste/Rivals the Cup of Jove,
And warms each English generous Breast/With Liberty and Love!
(Rev James Townley, 1751)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2009, 06:54 AM   #2
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

I don't really "get" hop teas. As far as I have read, there is almost no utilization without maltose in the mix.

Why don't you just First wort hop them instead? I don't really see what benefit making a hop tea would give you. Please explain if there is something I have overlooked here.

EDIT: As far as I know, you need the acidity from the malt to isomerize alpha acids into iso-alpha acids.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 03-03-2009, 07:24 AM   #3
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yeah I don't get hop teas either, and I swear I've read that there is little utilization without sugar in solution, but I can't come up with a reason for that or a source to site, so I can't say that's true.

As far as a using hop tea as sparge water, the extremely small amount of oils due to the hops should not effect your sparge efficiency in any appreciable way.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

Yeah, I know acidity plays a role but I swear I read years back that sugar does as well. Can't seem to recall where that info came from either.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 03-03-2009, 07:48 AM   #5
RayInUT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny's Evil Concoctions View Post
I don't really "get" hop teas. As far as I have read, there is almost no utilization without maltose in the mix.

Why don't you just First wort hop them instead? I don't really see what benefit making a hop tea would give you. Please explain if there is something I have overlooked here.

EDIT: As far as I know, you need the acidity from the malt to isomerize alpha acids into iso-alpha acids.
Yeah, what he said. FWH will blow away anything you did with extract. No hop teas needed.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny's Evil Concoctions View Post
Yeah, I know acidity plays a role but I swear I read years back that sugar does as well. Can't seem to recall where that info came from either.
Actually hop utilization is higher in a more alkaline solution... at least iso-alpha-acids

Old 03-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Honestly, the easiest thing to do would be to target the same IBU's in beersmith with your new all grain recipe. If its too little or too less, just adjust next time you brew the recipe.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yes, the hop utilization in water would be better than in wort. alpha acids are less soluble in acidic solutions (one reason why they are expelled during the fermentation and end up in the Kraeusen) and you need to dissolve them first before they can be isomerized.

This being said, I wonder about the quality of the bitterness that is extracted with a hop tea. That's why I have been proposing to always add some malt extract even if you go with the late extract method.

But yes, you could try hopping the sparge water. Maybe you are onto something. There might be more bitterness loss then usual due to the water trapped in the spent grain and the precipitation of proteins which bind some of the bitterness.

Kai

Old 03-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
Honestly, the easiest thing to do would be to target the same IBU's in beersmith with your new all grain recipe. If its too little or too less, just adjust next time you brew the recipe.
The problem is, he doesn't know really know the IBUs of his beer b/c none of the IBU formulas are designed for hops boiled in water.

Kai

Old 03-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #10
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Right. I'm just saying that since there is no real good way to figure it out, start with a good guess at what your bitterness needs to be in the new AG recipe. Then adjust your recipe from there. That seems much easier than messing around with hop tea etc.

Quick Reply