Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Hops @ 1minute or flameout?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
perkins98
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Hops @ 1minute or flameout?

So when i'm done with my 60 minute boil and add my last hops, i then carry pot over to tap and start IC.. I just read that someone waits 30 minutes before starting cool down. I confused here, i just brewed my fifth batch and once I shut off the propane i had my wort cooled to 70 degrees with 30 minutes or less. So if adding hops at flameout are you supposed to let those soak for awhile and then start the cooling? I guess I never thought about it to much.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Not many people wait to start the cool-down. I never have. If you are making a flameout add, leaving the wort at near-boiling temperatures will cause the hop oils to evaporate. It will be much like a flavor add than an aroma add.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
bigzippo
Recipes 

I start cooling immediately. To me it doesn't even make sense to have a cooler if you're going to wait to use it.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Kaiser was experimenting with a delayed chilling in order to get a little DMS formation, as he thought his pilsners were too clean, and not authentic in taste.

As far as hop addition timing, for beers I'm going to be lagering and/or aging, I prefer a 5 min. addition over a flameout one. I'm very suspicious that the five min. of boiling helps to stabilize the aroma. Yes, you will lose some aromas, but the ones that you do get are more stable. When I'm making a hoppy ale, I like to use a hopback.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply