Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Hop boil times

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 05:18 AM   #1
keepitcold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Hop boil times

Hey guys I was just looking over a recipe a made and I'm trying to figure out hop boiling time for different affects. I know 60 mins will give me the bitter but when is the optimal time to put in hops for flavor and aroma?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

10 to 20 min. For flavor, 0 to 10the min. For aroma.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
chemicalcraig
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm not sure where they got the data for this chart, but I've found it useful for a jumping off point
Hop Chart

Primary: Imperial IPA, American Brown, Amber, Old Ale, American Stout

Old 12-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemicalcraig View Post
I'm not sure where they got the data for this chart, but I've found it useful for a jumping off point
Hop Chart
It's a good guide, but the "aroma" bit is way off. The later you add hops, the more aroma you'll get.

If you boil hops for 5 minutes, you're driving off some of the very volatile aromatics that contribute all your aroma. Flameout hops will give more aroma than 5 min hops, and dry hopping is all aroma (not boiled or even heated).

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-02-2011, 12:50 AM   #5
indigi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Not only that, but you'll get flavor and aroma (as well as some bitterness) from hops added after the boil. You could only do a 60 minute addition and a large 0 minute addition, and if you let it whirlpool/sit hot for 30-120 minutes, you will get a metric buttload of flavor and aroma. Isomerization continues until the beer is below ~70* C (at a much, much lower rate) as well.

I think the best way to make a beer bursting with hoppiness is to only do 15, 10, 5, and 0 additions, don't start cooling for at least 20 minutes. I did a single-hop Cascade pale with 1, 1.5, 1.5, and 2oz additions as well as 2oz for dry-hopping and it's one of the best, brightest beers I've ever tasted, let alone made. Two cases disappeared among my friends in a week.

edit: That advice is for leaf hops as they tend to be stingier with their oils and flavor/aroma compounds; with pellets I would cool as usual so the more delicate compounds don't dissipate.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:47 AM   #6
chemicalcraig
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
It's a good guide, but the "aroma" bit is way off. The later you add hops, the more aroma you'll get.

If you boil hops for 5 minutes, you're driving off some of the very volatile aromatics that contribute all your aroma. Flameout hops will give more aroma than 5 min hops, and dry hopping is all aroma (not boiled or even heated).
I'm pretty sure it's just a qualitative graph. But even so, I'm not sure why they centered the peak for the aroma where they did. It should be at 0. It should be more like this (disclaimer this is for illustration purposes and is not based on actual data.):

Primary: Imperial IPA, American Brown, Amber, Old Ale, American Stout

Quick Reply