Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Hop Bag Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2008, 02:18 AM   #1
SporkD2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Hop Bag Problems

I recently make a hop bag which consists of a big pvc coupling, a 5 gallon paint strainer and some clips to hold it over the top of my keggle.

I brewed a wheat today that was #5.5 Wheat and #4 2-row. 1.5oz of Hallertau Mitterlfruh at 60 and .5 at 5 giving it 24 IBU's. 1.043 SG, 1056 yeast.

My first taste notes out of the kettle after boiling was a very grainy taste, and not much hops.

Can I assume that with fermentation these grainy tastes will go away and the hop flavor will begin to come out? I am afraid that my hop bag isnt letting my hops get enough exposure to the boiling wort around it.

Also I am still dialing in my new grain mill. Could this grainy taste be caused my milling too fine? I did not get a stuck sparge using my cpvc manifold.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2008, 02:23 AM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

At only 25 IBU's, you're not going to get a lot of hop presence right now. Once the sugars get converted, the beer will balance out much better.

I generally run 4-5 ounces of hops in my hop bag with no drop in utilization. You only had 2 ounces.

I also mill pretty fine and have no issues with grainy taste...once the beer is complete.

Give everything time to work itself out.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:24 AM   #3
SporkD2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
At only 25 IBU's, you're not going to get a lot of hop presence right now. Once the sugars get converted, the beer will balance out much better.

I generally run 4-5 ounces of hops in my hop bag with no drop in utilization. You only had 2 ounces.

I also mill pretty fine and have no issues with grainy taste...once the beer is complete.

Give everything time to work itself out.
I'm excited about those hallertau's I won at least months meeting. I have never used them before and I will be interested to see how this comes out.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:18 AM   #4
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkD2 View Post
My first taste notes out of the kettle after boiling was a very grainy taste, and not much hops.
Sounds about right. Your beer is going to taste different after fermentation, though. Don't judge it too soon.

I have used a similar hop bag on my last few brews, and had great success. I bet you will too.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:14 AM   #5
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I like 40 or more IBU's in an ale so 25 is really weak to me. Sweetness really masks hop flavor and bitterness so wait 2 to 3 weeks and see what happens. To many judge their beer at kegging or bottling and that gives you some idea but is not the final judgement.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Last edited by WBC; 06-15-2008 at 04:08 PM.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Wheats are low IBU, low hop aroma beers. Hallertau is a mild, slightly spicy hop that is good for the style.

[Not everything is a Left-coast IPA guys]

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
jay075j
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Wheats are low IBU, low hop aroma beers. Hallertau is a mild, slightly spicy hop that is good for the style.

[Not everything is a Left-coast IPA guys]
Agreed! 24 IBU's with 1.043 OG sounds pretty well balanced. Just let the 1056 do their job and consume all of the sugars, and make sure that you let it age properly and I'm sure you will be surprised at how well it turns out in the end.

Jay

"All right, brain, I don't like you, and you don't like me, so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." - Homer Simpson

Quick Reply