Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Honey Lemon Hefe Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
Ozzfest05
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Canadian wheat eh? Recipe

Grain Bill
4.00 lb Wheat DME (extract)
2.00 lb Pale 2 Row
1.00 lb Flaked Wheat
0.5 lb Honey Malt
0.5 lb Rolled Oats

Hops
1.00 oz Sorachi Ace 60 mins

Yeast: Safbrew WB-06

Primary 14 days

Dry hop with .5oz amarillo .5oz Sorachi Ace after 7 days. Serve with lemon wedge.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
rebel80
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What's the purpose of the honey? If you add it during the boil, it will just ferment out all the way and dry out the beer. Even in secondary, you won't get as much honey as you seem to be looking for. I have found that honey malt will give a much better honey character than actual honey.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Ozzfest05
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel80 View Post
What's the purpose of the honey? If you add it during the boil, it will just ferment out all the way and dry out the beer. Even in secondary, you won't get as much honey as you seem to be looking for. I have found that honey malt will give a much better honey character than actual honey.
Honey would have been added last 15 minutes.
I just checked and my LHBS carries honey malt, check edited recipe.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
heckels
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel80
While most of it ferments out it will still give a honey character when added in the boil. I brew a honey wit with 3lbs of orange blossom with noticeable honey flavor.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
bighorn_brew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You'll find that the wb-06 only produces very modest/light amounts of phenol/ester prodution, at least in my use and literature review of others experiences.

I did something like this and used ginger in the boil, as well...Looks good otherwise...good luck!

Old 11-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
Ozzfest05
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorn_brew
You'll find that the wb-06 only produces very modest/light amounts of phenol/ester prodution, at least in my use and literature review of others experiences.

I did something like this and used ginger in the boil, as well...Looks good otherwise...good luck!
I may be able to get some danstar wheat yeast. But that's all I have access to for wheat yeast. I may just use us-05 my go to yeast.

Anyone have any opinions should I dry hop or toss lemons into secondary.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
Ozzfest05
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Also some people have access to software any idea on Abv this would produce. I had a hefe with lemon garnish from a fellow hb and it was delicious that's what inspired this recipe.

Thanks for help and suggestions

I don't want to overpower the lemon flavor as too why I decided not to use citra hops

Old 11-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
asterix404
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So this is interesting... what do you want it to do? Adding lemmons to the secondary will ferment out the fructose but keep the acid around for a very acidic beer.

Definitely don't use honey, a heff is suppose to have some mouth feel. I would ferment with either a Bavarian wheat strain or the wheinstphan strain (I think 1007). That will give you the phenols that you want.

I would be very cautious about adding very sour stuff to a heff, too much will make it undrinkable and it's a fairly light beer anyway. I would definitely think about only using citra hops and serving it with a lemon wedge or tasting it in the secondary and think about adding lemon juice or zest into the secondary. Do not boil the lemon zest, heat it up or add it at knock out. Boiling it will cause the pectin to leach out. You could also heat it up in a sauce pan to 175, cover the pan and turn off the heat to kill anything on them.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
Ozzfest05
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I only have access to dry yeast , I could order liquid yeast online but it's 12.99 + shipping.

I decided on the recipe. Final version is in op unless people have idea on actual grain bill.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
ldave
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default seconding the zest but holding out for hefe yeast

Seconding the motion to nix the whole lemons and only add the zest... sans boiling them as per above. All the flavor without the pucker. I personally wouldn't brew a hefe without the right hefe yeast. We call mine, when I make it, 'banana whammy'. With the real yeast, it's a banana whammy that fills yer nose and the immediate area around the tapper with 'nana. At least 'till the yeast settles out to the keg bottom. Then it's yer average american wheat beer. At least 'till I bust the keg outta the fridge and roll it around for 5 minutes. Then it's the 'whammy again... or you could just delete the 'hefe' outta the name.

Quick Reply