Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Honesty hurts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 01:19 AM   #1
Donnie1980
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Honesty hurts

Made a batch of oatmeal chocolate stout. Pulled the recipe from " brew" magazine and followed the directions to a t. It has been in the carboy for 7 days at 66 degrees.
Now for the honesty part, I had quite a few brews while making this and didn't take the OG when I finished. I made it to bed that night and that was an accomplishment in itself. It's at 1.20 now, any idea how long it should go for before I bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 01:22 AM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Wait until you've achieved a steady gravity for about 3 days in a row that is close to your expected final gravity. Then let it ride for another couple of days. The bottle./

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 04-02-2011, 01:24 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Depend on if you want to secondary or not. All my beers go a minimum of 1 month before I bottle. 99% of the time that means 1 month in primary. But in the rare instance I do use a secondary it usually rack it on day 14 making sure that fermentation is complete, and leave it in secondary for a minimum of 2 weeks. Either way it's a month from yeast pitch til bottling for me and another month in bottles. The best beer comes with patience.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-02-2011, 01:26 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

1.020 is a decent FG for a stout. If it's the same in a week or two, go ahead and bottle it!

If you wait at least a week or two, much of the suspended stuff and extra sediment will fall to the bottom, so you'll have a better beer in the bottle with less crud in the bottle as well.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:45 AM   #5
Donnie1980
Recipes 

Thanks for your help. Lesson learned, no more heavy brews during.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:03 AM   #6
justins2582
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've woken up the next day not being able to remember pitching the yeast. Although that is recipe for disaster, all of my brews have turned out great. Don't underestimate the hunger and strength of newborn yeast!

Quick Reply