Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Home Malting and Kilning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #61
JesseKing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Finished First Home Malted Beer

I just finished making my first beer with homemalted grains. I did 10gals of a hoppy honey rye with about 12lbs of homemalted pale malt and 1.5lbs of homemade 60L crystal malt. I had to buy several other specialty grains including the rye malt. Overall, it went smoothly and is happily fermenting away in the primaries. I put half on an American style ale yeast and the other half on a french saison... Should be exciting to see how everything turns out.

This has been a 9+ month endeavor....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2010, 05:57 AM   #62
instapman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sooooooo have good things come? Just curious. I read the whole thread and WOW, what an undertaking. Surely you have had some "dirt to beer" home brew by now.?.?.?.

Subscribed...

Old 07-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #63
lurker18
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewbecca View Post
Hi guys
I'm also going to malt some barley I just grew, harvested about 60 kg, this is the first time so I'm taking it slowly!

So I was wandering, has anyone discovered what dimension is a plump? I read somewhere malting plants want barley at least 2.2 mm diameter, can help? Do you use a filter to select grains of a same size before malting?

Cheers

Stefano
Stefano, that is correct. I work for the Canadian Grain Commission and I described the plump and thins a few post before you asked this. It is done by a maltsters request, something like no more than 4% thins, no more than 2% forign material, no more than 5% peeled and broken. Each maltster will have their own specifications to what they want. In Canada, this is pre selected on the farm before it is delivered to the shipper. That way anything that is entering the system is known to be malt quality before it ties up space. Also, it is possible to be selected, and because of poor storage, when it is time for delivery, another sample is taken and it can then be turned down,
As for sizing, it is actually a very simple procedure. The grain is passed over a set of sieves, and anything too small will fall through and the bigger plump seeds will stay on top.

As I write this I am looking at a boat headed to China, 10 000 tonnes of Copeland and 34 000 tonnes of Metcalf. These samples will be then taken home and used in my home malting.

Reason: adding more stuff

Old 07-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #64
JesseKing
Recipes 

Default Pictures of my homemalting setup

http://picasaweb.google.com/mrjessek...eat=directlink

Old 07-18-2010, 02:13 PM   #65
Brewbecca
Recipes 

@lurker18:
You're right, your post was just a couple before mine Thanks for the info anyway. You're lucky you get the best! And I know it's crazy at my level of malting, but now I'm thinking about getting a sieve and see what it happens to my barley! I don't think It's an easy task to build one, so I will search for one, the hard part will be finding one with the right size of holes.

@jesseking: very nice dryer! Is it a vacuum-cleaner you use to extract the air? I was wondering, how do you control the temperature inside the dryer? Is there a temp probe inside? Can you regulate the heat of the hairdryer? If the inlet air temperature changes, can you mantain the inside temperature constant?

Old 07-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #66
JesseKing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewbecca View Post
@lurker18:

@jesseking: very nice dryer! Is it a vacuum-cleaner you use to extract the air? I was wondering, how do you control the temperature inside the dryer? Is there a temp probe inside? Can you regulate the heat of the hairdryer? If the inlet air temperature changes, can you mantain the inside temperature constant?
The hairdryer is used to blow air across the grain that is suspended on two screens. The one I found on e-bay had 3 temperature settings which gives me some control. I can also close down or open the vent holes on the bottom of the dryer with masking tape. The dryer doesn't get quite as hot as I would like, but I am able to sustain 95+ temps.

After spending a couple of days drying in the dryer I put all the grain in the oven to kiln it, that makes sure that all the moisture is gone and gives it a very light toast. We'll see how well it all worked here in a couple of weeks when the first beer is finished.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:17 AM   #67
Maltster
Recipes 

I am a all grain brewer and we malt our own barley
we get our barley seed from

Harrington Seeds Inc

2586 S Bradleyville Rd
Reese, MI 48757

(989) 868-4750

Old 11-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #68
woodardg
Recipes 

a book i just pick up is

the homebrewer garden

it has hops ,malts, and brewing herbs

Old 11-08-2010, 03:29 AM   #69
justio
Recipes 

yo man! i'm in ann arbor, where you at? when you get your grains up and running, let me know. i'll buy some off of you for sure!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #70
hops4me
Recipes 

Johney's seeds sells two row in 1, 5. and 25 pound amounts. Harvesting and threshing by hand is time consuming. check out the brewers garden it has method for malting in 5 lb batches

Quick Reply