Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Home Malting and Kilning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #21
fifelee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurounikitsune
Fifelee, I will be harvesting 400 sq ft the old fashioned way. Sickle and threshing floor. It won't be too hard for that small amount. It will just be one small piece of our 10,000 sq ft garden. And I live in lower Michigan... If you have access to two-row malting barley seed, I would buy it through the mail in a heartbeat.
Make sure you take pictures when you thresh. I would love to see that.
In a few weeks we will be cleaning what is left of last years crop to use for seed on this years crop. It is 2-row harrington barley. Contact me in a few weeks and i'll see what we can work out for shipping you some.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #22
Wort*hog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just pull this off a site from No Dakota. It would lead one to believe that a sack of barley from a feed store would most likely be 2row;

FEED VARIETIES PRODUCED IN NORTH DAKOTA
--Most barley varieties produced for feed are 2 row types.
--6 row barley that is too high in protein to meet malting requirements can be used as an excellent feed source.
--Typical 2 row feed varieties produced in North Dakota include Bowman, Rawson, Stark, and Stander.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #23
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wort*hog, I have a hunch feed store grain would be good enough in a pinch, but in general I bet Farmer Brown is going to keep the very, very best grain for next year's seed, and then sell all the grain he can to the malt plant and then sell whatever is left to the horse feed people.

Just saying...

Old 03-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #24
Wort*hog

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter
Wort*hog, I have a hunch feed store grain would be good enough in a pinch, but in general I bet Farmer Brown is going to keep the very, very best grain for next year's seed, and then sell all the grain he can to the malt plant and then sell whatever is left to the horse feed people.

Just saying...
Does make you wonder if its graded good, better. best or not worth a damn, tolerable and Premium?

Old 03-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #25
fifelee

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wort*hog
Does make you wonder if its graded good, better. best or not worth a damn, tolerable and Premium?
Malting plants want at least 70% plump kernels (plump is a standard size measurement). Most feed barley just has a lower amount of plump kernels. It would be fine for malting, but you would get low efficiency. As a side note, this years is different. Malt plants are so desperate for grain that they are taking anything. We just sold some that is about 50% plump. I imagine that they screen out the thins and still just malt plump kernels.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:17 PM   #26
Wort*hog

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter

Just saying...
40 to 50% price increase is a pinch!

Old 03-02-2008, 06:34 PM   #27
rurounikitsune
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Fifelee, that would be fantastic. I will PM you in a few weeks. I need less than 20000 seeds for 400 square feet... I don't know about the kernel size on the Harrington but three pounds ought to more than cover it.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:23 AM   #28
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you can't find a good scythe, you think a strong weedwacker would work?

I really hope this works out rurounikitsune. btw, what area are you in? Your profile doesn't say.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 03-06-2008, 12:54 PM   #29
Aclay
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurounikitsune

First off, I'm out in the sticks in lower Michigan.
Where in lower Michigan? If you have any thing left to go with the hops idea you might want to talk to Larry Bell of Bell's brewing Co. in Kalamazoo. Once a year he does a "Harvest Ale" that uses exclusively locally grown crops to make a batch of beer. It would be some where to start to find where to buy local seed, as well as some hands-on "how-to" of kilning. Check out www.Bellsbeer.com. Michigan is such a great beer state, and if you do end up doing this I would love to do an article on it. I'm sure Brew News or the Michigan Beer Guide would be ultra intrested in a story like that.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #30
rurounikitsune
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Aclay, the garden and the homestead are all in Hillsdale. But I spend some time in Coldwater as well so K'zoo is pretty close. When it gets closer to harvest time I will have to get an audience with Mr. Bell... I have had quite a bit of Oberon at the Elks that I guess he is responsible for.

I will keep this thread updated whenever something pertinent happens. I hope to get seed from fifelee within a couple of weeks and SWMBO is checking around locally to see if anything is available. We need a nice thaw to get our garden plowed up and we need to get some horse crap delivered pretty soon. But hey I'm brewing Raspberry Ale this week so we don't have to drive to Marshall every time we get a hankerin for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclay
Where in lower Michigan? If you have any thing left to go with the hops idea you might want to talk to Larry Bell of Bell's brewing Co. in Kalamazoo. Once a year he does a "Harvest Ale" that uses exclusively locally grown crops to make a batch of beer. It would be some where to start to find where to buy local seed, as well as some hands-on "how-to" of kilning. Check out www.Bellsbeer.com. Michigan is such a great beer state, and if you do end up doing this I would love to do an article on it. I'm sure Brew News or the Michigan Beer Guide would be ultra intrested in a story like that.

Quick Reply