Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Home Brewery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2007, 01:11 AM   #1
Skrimpy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Home Brewery

Anyone built an all grain home brewery? I would love to do this but as with everything else, I don't want to half @$$ it. I want to build it, and I want it to be TOP NOTCH. I've been around the net and seen tons of cool set ups but I was thinking something along the lines combining the best of all the systems.
Not that its a detailed plan but maybe a discussion can lead me to an entire plan.

HLT, MLT, Boil Kettle, CFC, and fermenter, thermometers and a hydrometer. This of course would all be tied to a system of plumbing, pumps valves and solonoids to recirculate water/wort through and around the system in the different places adjusting its rout depending on temperature to maintain immaculate QA/QC. I was thinking that I should also connect the whole system to a cpu for absolute monitoring and control of the process but write the program to run itself once set up so the only thing I have to do is put my ingredients in and click start (minus cleaning). I was also thinking of setting it up so that the house plumbing was tied directly into the system from a charcoal filter so that I didn't have to fill it by hand, and have the house gas piped right to the burners so I didn't have to refill propane. I also thought about having valves set up on the fermenter so that I could pipe right into a keg or bottling bucket. This all sounds great but the bottom line is the almighty dollar...so I thought I should piece this sucker together once I have a complete plan.

Any plans, thoughts, pics I can look at to draw up a draft plan? Of course I will get a permit (NOT) when I build it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2007, 01:36 AM   #2
talleymonster

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

If you want to see a sweet setup, check out http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...highlight=1972

This guy has it hooked up. But he says he's been doing it since 1972, so He's got quite a few brews under his belt!

Old 06-27-2007, 01:49 AM   #3
morbid53
Recipes 

I am actually working on a system that is very similar I work in controlls and automation and have been lookingat different ways to set up an almost completley automated system right now I am trying to figure out wether I want to heat with gas or electric nothing put together yet but looking promising.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:58 AM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1068 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 28

This is what you're looking for: http://www.alenuts.com/brutus.htm

I can't drink beer fast enough to brew enough. I don't want my brew day to happen without me just yet. I LIKE being involved.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 06-27-2007, 02:01 AM   #5
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M

I can't drink beer fast enough to brew enough. I don't want my brew day to happen without me just yet. I LIKE being involved.
That is pretty awesome. But, I think half the fun would be doing all that work myself (meaning what he includes in the plans).

Old 06-27-2007, 02:18 AM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1068 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I can't find any particular flaws with his system. No need to reinvent something that works. I got a "C" in industrial controls class at DeVry so LOVE controls scare the hell out me though.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 06-27-2007, 02:19 AM   #7
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

You should also check out Brewpastor's setup: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/...=1&userid=3144

and Monster Mash's setup: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/brewer007/my_photos

This thread might be interesting for you, too. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=19823

Old 06-27-2007, 02:21 AM   #8
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Also, if you'd rather just drop some cash and get a turn key system, check out the breweries at www.morebeer.com

Old 06-27-2007, 02:34 AM   #9
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M

I think its hilarious to have that sweet system and to hand write "Brutus Ten" on the control panel. Sorry to whoever owns it, but I think its weird to put something together so beautifully and well designed and leave a detail like that in. However, I'm still jealous and would take it 'as is' in a heartbeat.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:44 AM   #10
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney
I think its hilarious to have that sweet system and to hand write "Brutus Ten" on the control panel. Sorry to whoever owns it, but I think its weird to put something together so beautifully and well designed and leave a detail like that in. However, I'm still jealous and would take it 'as is' in a heartbeat.
He lurks and sometimes post here.
colplink - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/member.php?u=6557
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Quick Reply