New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Holy attenuation batman! (and a question on bottling volume)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
banderberg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Holy attenuation batman! (and a question on bottling volume)

I went to siphon my first all grain brew, an imperial IPA, to secondary tonight.

Now, when I first put this beer in a month ago it had a SG of 1.091 as measured by refractometer. Tonight I measured and the current gravity is 1.004 according to my hydrometer.

That puts my Imperial IPA around 11.7% alcohol which I'm pretty happy about. I drank the contents of the hydrometer and the hops balance the alcohol pretty well.

Now that I'm done patting myself on the back I want to see if my bottling volume is normal.

I had 16 litres (4.2 gallons) in my secondary after I was done. The trub in the primary was almost three inches deep.

I originally put about 6 gallons into the primary. Is it normal to lose 1.8 gallons to trub? I pitched about 688 million yeast cells (according to BrewSmith) and total hop volume added (wet and dry) was 10 oz. BeerSmith says I should have 5 gallons to bottle but maybe it assumes the brewer will put the hops in a mesh baggie during the boil and for dry hopping.

That's about it.. thanks for reading my post and for your responses.

Last edited by banderberg; 06-08-2012 at 02:24 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 02:33 AM   #2
JeffersonJ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That does seem like a lot of liquid lost to trub, assuming all the measurements were accurate. How long was it in primary?

Also, just curious, what yeast did you use?

Old 06-08-2012, 02:38 AM   #3
banderberg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffersonJ View Post
That does seem like a lot of liquid lost to trub, assuming all the measurements were accurate. How long was it in primary?

Also, just curious, what yeast did you use?
It was in primary for 4.5 weeks and I used Wyeast 1056 American Ale.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:41 AM   #4
JeffersonJ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wow. That's 95% attenuation and that yeast's range is 73-77% according to Wyeast. Extremely unusual. Have you tasted to make sure there was no infection?

EDIT: Nevermind - I can't read. I'm stumped!

Old 06-08-2012, 03:04 AM   #5
banderberg
Recipes 

I was going to use my refractometer to measure the current gravity but I read something about the alcohol screwing up the readings.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:05 AM   #6
banderberg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffersonJ View Post
Wow. That's 95% attenuation and that yeast's range is 73-77% according to Wyeast. Extremely unusual. Have you tasted to make sure there was no infection?

EDIT: Nevermind - I can't read. I'm stumped!
I am not sure what that means. The yeast will die off at a certain alcohol level I know but I am right about that level from what I read on the chart at the brew supply shop for that strain.

I also used two packets in a starter on a stir plate, stepped up twice before pitching. So.. who knows?

Old 06-08-2012, 03:15 AM   #7
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by banderberg View Post
I am not sure what that means. The yeast will die off at a certain alcohol level I know but I am right about that level from what I read on the chart at the brew supply shop for that strain.

I also used two packets in a starter on a stir plate, stepped up twice before pitching. So.. who knows?

Although 95% seems a little high for 1056, it's not uncommon for it to attenuate well above the range you specified.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 06-08-2012, 03:26 AM   #8
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I've had 1056 attenuate like that before when I underpitched and fermented too warm and it got stressed. The resultant beer smelled and tasted like jet fuel. Could easily strip the paint off your house and the enamel off your teeth. Mmmmm fusels.

If you get a headache as you are drinking it then it is probably chock full of fusels. If not, enjoy your super high octane brew.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
banderberg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpsteak View Post
I've had 1056 attenuate like that before when I underpitched and fermented too warm and it got stressed. The resultant beer smelled and tasted like jet fuel. Could easily strip the paint off your house and the enamel off your teeth. Mmmmm fusels.

If you get a headache as you are drinking it then it is probably chock full of fusels. If not, enjoy your super high octane brew.
No this fermented in my temperature controlled chest freezer at 68 degrees.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:55 AM   #10
banderberg
Recipes 

I just sampled my first bottle.. but it has only been in the bottle for one week. Well, there is zero carbonation and the taste of the alcohol is noticeable. It's super hopped up.. I will wait a few more weeks to see if carbonation builds up but I am guessing the yeast are all dead.

Quick Reply