Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Highest efficiency?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
Sean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Highest efficiency?

I just finished my 9th AG. And it went perfect. 4 ½ hours from start to everything put away. I think I found a rhythm. I was focused on only brewing. Everything flowed very nicely.

I used 12 # total grains. The problem I’m having is I measured the runoff at 6.25 gal, and measured SG of 1.030 plus or minus a point, at boiling. I wrote that down, and continued. End of boil I have 5.5 gal in carboy at 62 deg, and measure 1.068, that is way too high. I measured again this morning, 1.068. That would put my efficiency at over 90%. Possible, but not likely.

I batch sparge and everything flowed really well. My mash temp 157 for 60 min temp dropped to 154.

I am pretty certain I measured the grains properly, but it is possible I got an extra ½ pound of 2-row in there. Even then the efficiency is over 90%.

Once again, I am fairly certain I weighed the grains properly, and used only 12 #. What is the highest probable efficiency?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
perry
Recipes 

I've been kind of surprised at my efficiencies too (I did a post High eff or am i an idiot) because I'm frequently getting into the low 90's. Turns out my system is just working well, and I'm sure that my water has a lot to do with it... Anyway,what I'd say is brew a few more using your same method, and if the results are the same, consider yourself lucky!

cheers -p

Old 03-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
aseelye
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What kind of systems are you guys using? Mine seem to hit about 75% max, using the modified cooler setup.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
Sean

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseelye
What kind of systems are you guys using? Mine seem to hit about 75% max, using the modified cooler setup.
I'm using the same thing. 5 gal cooler w/ SS braid. I usually get low 80s. This was quite a surprise.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
inkbob
Recipes 

i'm interested to know what equation everyone uses to calculate effeciency. i also seem to come out abnormally high, and i think i'm just using a strange formula or something. i have seen at least two formulas, and i just want to know what is in general use.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkbob
I have seen at least two formulas, and i just want to know what is in general use.
What formulas have you seen?

There is effciency based on the maximum possible extract from the grains and there is efficiency based on the total grain weight. Most brewers, if not to say all home brewers here in the US seem to use the first one.

The 2 things that matter most for efficicy in batch sparging seem to be crush and pH.

Kai

Old 03-19-2007, 05:07 PM   #7
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

2 brews ago i hit 83% with 2 converted kegs. My sparge temp was right at 70.

This past weekend i hit 76% but my sparge only ever hit 63.

I am using a 2 roller crankandstien and i fricken love it.

Home made C-PVC manifold that usually leaves me with a cup of wort in the bottom of the kettle, if that.

If i could just regulary hit 70 with the sparge then i think i would be golden with my Eff.

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 03-19-2007, 05:18 PM   #8
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

I'm down around 60% on my last batch...wish I had your problems.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:36 PM   #9
inkbob
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
What formulas have you seen?

There is effciency based on the maximum possible extract from the grains and there is efficiency based on the total grain weight. Most brewers, if not to say all home brewers here in the US seem to use the first one.

The 2 things that matter most for efficicy in batch sparging seem to be crush and pH.

Kai

exactly. i use the first one also. the problem is i have a tiny list of what the "maximum possible" extract is for certain items, and i am beginning to think i shouldn't trust it. the list gives me a percentage, which i multiply by my kilo weight for each individual grist component, and i get an amount which represents grams of extract at 100% mash effeciency. (for example 1 Kg of Pils malt would have a max possible extract of 820 grams extract) then i compute my actual extract (10 x degrees Plato x liters), and figure my mash effeciency % from there. it has been in the high 70s to mid 80s

since my results seem high, i think maybe i just need a better reference list of the max possible extracts. that being said, maybe i should have done a detailed search of the forum, but i seem to remember looking for one before and not finding it here. i dont mind doing some conversion from lbs to kilos and so on, if someone can reccomend a good source.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:32 PM   #10
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Hydrometer accuracy? Didja buy a new one lately?

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Quick Reply