Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > High Gravity Water Use

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
HopTrap
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default High Gravity Water Use

Quick question for all you pros. I am on my third AG batch today and going to be making a Belgian Tripel. Previously I have been using about 1.25 qts of water per pound of grain in the Mash and about 1/2 gallon per pound when sparging. Obviously there is a lot more grain in this brew, but it is still for a 5 gallon batch. Should I keep using the same ratios or should I be using less water for a High gravity beer like this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

For high-gravity beers, you will benefit from a thinner mash and more sparging.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
HopTrap
Recipes 

Thanks David. Any idea as to when I should put in this pound of belgian candy sugar?

Right now I am thinking of dropping it into the boil kettle once I collect all my wort from the mash tun. Does this sound right?

Old 04-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
CharlosCarlies
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
For high-gravity beers, you will benefit from a thinner mash and more sparging.
Wait don't you mean a thicker mash? A thinner mash would just leave you with less sparge water. I guess you could do a thinner mash and a longer boil though.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
HopTrap
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlosCarlies View Post
Wait don't you mean a thicker mash? A thinner mash would just leave you with less sparge water. I guess you could do a thinner mash and a longer boil though.
Hmm, I am now at about where I started, lol.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
CharlosCarlies

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopTrap View Post
Hmm, I am now at about where I started, lol.
Oops didn't mean to confuse you! I'm generally not very good at explaining my thoughts but I'll try to clarify.

Generally you're going to have a set pre-boil amount that you want to hit which is just your strike water + your sparge water. With a larger grain bill, you're going to need a lot more strike water to keep your desired water/grist ratio. Since you're starting with more water, you're going to naturally have less to sparge with.

Therefore, at least to the best of my knowledge: you'll either want to keep a thicker mash, use more grain and just accept the possible efficiency loss, or use a thinner mash and just collect more pre-boil. From there you can just boil down to your desired batch size.

Personally, I find re-filling propane all the time to be a royal pain in the ass, so I tend to avoid longer boils whenever possible.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopTrap View Post
Thanks David. Any idea as to when I should put in this pound of belgian candy sugar?

Right now I am thinking of dropping it into the boil kettle once I collect all my wort from the mash tun. Does this sound right?
When I did my Barley Wine I added the candy sugar after fermentaion was slowing down, this allowed the yeast to have a slightly lower gravity wort (1.095 or something) to work on before I added the candy sugar (which bumped it up to a calculated OG of 1.119). I boiled the candy sugar in a cup of water first to sanitize it, then cooled and added to the fermenter.

Edit: also I got down to 1.020 from the calculated OG of 1.119

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 04-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I seem to remember reading on the dubbel I did, and am about to do again, to put it in the last 15 mins of boil, so its well dissolved and sanitized, and then chill and pitch... I don't know that it matters when you add the sugar, I've heard both sides... I guess more word on that topic would be nice?

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 04-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 531

In my experience, it really doesn't matter when you add sugar.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 04-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #10
HopTrap
Recipes 

Thanks for all the input guys, but it was all in vain for this brew. I wound up in the ER after dumping about 2-3 gallons of wort down my leg. Doing ok now, some 1st degree burns and some deeper 2nd degree near my ankle. I am dealing with the burn people at UVA. I will store this info for the next attempt at this beer.

Quick Reply