Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > High Gravity question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 01:04 AM   #1
nodfera2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default High Gravity question

Hi everyone... first post here and I have a question I was hoping some of you could lend insight to.

I recently brewed a maple porter---total grain bill being 10lbs with 2lbs additional adjuncts (ie flaked oats, etc). During the last 15 minutes of my boil, I added 64oz (1/2 g) of grade B maple syrup. After my wort had cooled to 78f, my gravity reading was an astounding 1.095. Prior to my boil, I took a gravity reading which read 1.050 in about a 6.5-7 gallon solution.

I realize that the wort condensed during the boil, as it reduced in quantity and thereby raised the gravity level; however, I was still shocked by the high gravity reading. Since I was expecting a gravity reading around 1.065ish, I did not prepare a starter yeast and was worried how my yeast would do. [Note that I used a vial of White Labs Burton yeast strain].

Needless to say, fermentation started within 12 hours and is vigorous. I guess my question is this: when fermentation really slows and I have a gravity reading of say 1.050, would it be possible to add fresh yeast to re-start a fermentation?

Thanks peeps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

That OG isn't outside the working range of most ale yeasts, so you probably won't get stuck. If you do, pitch a dry wine/champaign yeast to finish.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-28-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
nodfera2
Recipes 

Thanks for the responses...

Day 3 of fermentation and its going really well so far. Huge krausen. I guess we'll wait and see what the reading is when primary subsides.

Do you know how/where you could find out the specfic gravity points of various adjuncts (like maple syrup, etc)? I was able to calculate a target gravity as far as my grains go, but obviously missed a bit with the syrup.

Quick Reply