Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > High Gravity Mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 01:16 AM   #11
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackerlack

I read the site and your comments. Am I understanding this correctly?

1. Mash at 154 as normal.
2. Vorleuf and drain mash tun.
3. Add water to bring up to about 170, stir, and vorleuf again.
4. Drain tun completely
5. Start boil
You got it, but for #3 you are not bring any mash up to temp, you are just adding the 170+ water to sparge, the grain temp is irrelevant at this time.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 01:18 AM   #12
slackerlack
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
You got it, but for #3 you are not bring any mash up to temp, you are just adding the 170+ water to sparge, the grain temp is irrelevant at this time.
Will this not pull out tannins?

Brew often

Old 08-16-2012, 01:31 AM   #13
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Tannin extraction is not instantaneous. Only if you keep the temp over 170 will you be risking noticeable tannin extraction.

After initial vorleuf then drain, your grains will be somewhere in the 150-ish degree area. Your secondary sparge water can go into your mash tun somewhere in the 180-185 degree area depending on water volume and grain volume. Once stirred you should settle in the 165-170 area for temp in the grains.

When I used to batch sparge I usually targetted about 165-168 as my grain bed temp after stirring in the second sparge water. Keep a pitcher of cool water nearby and if you hit it a bit high add in some cool water to bring it down. It is much easier to tweak your mash tun temp down a couple degrees than up a couple.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Quick Reply