Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > High Gravity Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
voodoochild7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default High Gravity Imperial Stout

I did an imperial stout yesterday pitched the yeast at about midnight it's now 4:30pm no airlock activity. The gravity was about 1.090 I used what labs british ale yeast but did not use a starter. I usually do a starter but this batch was done on a whim and I did not want to put off this batch anylonger it's been months since I brewed. How long should I wait before pitching my back up yeast. I understand there can be some lag time with these heavy batches.

Chuck

Primary 1: Imperial Stout
Primary 2: Golden Ale
Keg 1: Nothing
Keg 2: Nothing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

if all was sanitized well, i'd look for activity in three to four days...

you almost have to make a starter or pitch on a yeast cake if you are brewting that big mate!

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:32 PM   #3
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

One thing comes to mind. It can take a while. I direct pitched some WLP330 (Hefe) yeast straight in on a batch that I brewed on Saturday. I didn't get a Krausen until today. I have a blowoff tube and it was in my bedroom (don't ask ) , so I did hear a few 'glugs' during the night. So it can take some time. I wouldn't worry until you hit several days. As for the gravity, I think the problem really lies in finishing rather than starting at least that is what I have gathered. The highest I have gone to date is a 70 beer.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:54 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You know, I did an imperial stout last week with that very same yeast. Granted, mine was a mason jar full of fresh trub pulled from a conical at a local brewpub, but same yeast and all. I didn't do a starter, because it was freshly pulled from an active conical. And lagtime was LONG. Started VERY slow. Took awhile just to see a real krausen. Oddball. But I tried some last night. very good, but strong as a muf*ck. Went from like 1.095 to 1.030.

Anyway, if I were you, in the future, if you're doing one of those "last-minute" brews, try not to make it a high-grav one. They're the most brutal when it comes to needing a starter.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 02-12-2007, 11:35 PM   #5
voodoochild7
Recipes 

Yeah I just had to brew it's been way too long.

Chuck

Primary 1: Imperial Stout
Primary 2: Golden Ale
Keg 1: Nothing
Keg 2: Nothing

Old 03-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
warwicke36
Recipes 

We just did an Impy Stout with an O.G. of 1.102 ... No starter, pitched a bottle of White Labs California Ale WLP001 ... tremendous airlock activity within 18 hours, its been going strong for 3 days now. I have used this yeast for several imperial applications and have dropped from 1.094 to 1.02 in as little as 6 days. Great versatile yeast IMO. But in regards to airlock activity hours after pitching, I never see that with a starter or not. Usually takes 12-24 hours. Make sure temps are above 70 at least until fermentation starts, unless youre lagering. Best of luck.

Quick Reply