Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > high fermentation temps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007, 02:32 AM   #1
centralpabrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default high fermentation temps

I brewed a english bitter style ale. I pitched the yeast, and before I could check on it again, the temperature of the wort had risen to 80F. I tried to cool it down, but could only get it down a few degrees (Summer brewing is a problem for me, as my house is not air conditioned). I put it in a tub of water and added ice packs every few hours, but the temp hovered around 78F. After a week, I racked it into the secondary and when finished I kegged it and force carbonated.

The beer tastes ok, in fact it tastes pretty darn good. I brewed this batch to take to a pig roast. My question is this. Since it fermented at such high temps, could there be any residual toxins or nasties etc. that would harm someone who may drink it in excess?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2007, 02:41 AM   #2
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

It really depends on the yeast as to how it'll turn out, but there's nothing from high fermentation temps that could be toxic, but it could produce fusel alcohol and maybe some other things that can make it taste "off". If it tastes fine, I wouldn't worry about it. Next time look for yeast that tolerate high temps. For example I know Safale S-05 is good up to 75' and Coopers is good up to 80'.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:26 AM   #3
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralpabrewer
I brewed a english bitter style ale. I pitched the yeast, and before I could check on it again, the temperature of the wort had risen to 80F. I tried to cool it down, but could only get it down a few degrees (Summer brewing is a problem for me, as my house is not air conditioned). I put it in a tub of water and added ice packs every few hours, but the temp hovered around 78F. After a week, I racked it into the secondary and when finished I kegged it and force carbonated.

The beer tastes ok, in fact it tastes pretty darn good. I brewed this batch to take to a pig roast. My question is this. Since it fermented at such high temps, could there be any residual toxins or nasties etc. that would harm someone who may drink it in excess?
There are no toxins produced in the brewing process except for a minute amount of methanol (you get more from a glass of orange juice) and coginers( fusels ) at high temps. RDWHAHB!

Quick Reply