Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > High Carbonate Water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 02:59 AM   #1
uwmgdman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default High Carbonate Water

Hey everyone,

I recently moved to a new house, not far from where I was before, my water is even more alkaline that it was previously, a lot of carbonate without enough calcium to balance.

Here is the water report, I am mainly served from well 5, but also from well 4.
WELL# 5 WELL# 4 WELL # 3

Chloride- 3.6 mg/l 8.9 mg/l 3.4 – mg/l
Calcium- 63.8 mg/l 67.2- mg/l 63.8- mg/l
Alkalinity- 277 mg/l 274- mg/l 275 – mg/l
Hardness- 295 mg/l 315- mg/l 298- mg/l
Magnesium- 33.9 mg/l 35.8 mg/l 33.8- mg/l
Sodium – 2.9 mg/l 3.8- mg/l 3.0 – mg/l

This weekend I was pickeling some spicy green beans and there was a fair amount of Calcium carbonate precipitated in my boiling water where I sterilized the empty jars. I don't really recall this happening at my old house, brewing or pickeling, it happens when I boil water for spaghetti too. Should be concerned about this as far as brewing water? The water tastes just fine. I'll be brewing this weekend at the new house for the first time. As I did with my previous house, I'll plan on using pH 5.2 in my mash. I've also got some calcium chloride I will add to my water. For light brews I'll continue to dilute my water with distilled water.

Any water chemistry gurus have an opinion?

Drinking: 2013 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Palate Assaulted Again Black IPA and Kaiser Alt Zwei

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
Piotr
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I have silimar water. To get rid of bicarbonates I just boil it the day before brew day, adding a spoon of chalk to encourage precipitation, and when it is cold I decant it - on the bottom of the kettle there is usualy a layer of white CaCO3.

But don't do it when you brew dark beers - it this case bicarbonates are helpful.

Your water is pretty hard - I would't add any calcium salts to it.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I would dilute with distilled and then add CaCl and/or CaSO4. Your report doesn't show SO4 (Sulphate) and it would be nice to know that. In addition to high alkalinity you also have quite a bit of Mg. Diluting with distilled will reduce your alkalinity and Mg (along with everything else)...then by adding CaCl and/or CaSO4 you can get your Calcium back and also adjust your Cl and SO4.

The spreadsheet at the bottom of section 15.3 in Palmer's How To Brew (online) is very useful imo.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 03-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Madison water (east side) has me so frustrated with how hard and carbonat-y (?) it is. Every brew i do i cut the city water by at LEAST 50% with DI, then add the appropriate salts to get everything closer to target.

By actually paying attention to this, the quality of my beers has drastically improved.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Old 03-10-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

We've got almost twice as much bicarbonate in our water here. I dilute heavily w/ RO water, use the 5.2 buffer, and get good results.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
uwmgdman

Recipes 

Thanks guys. I'll continue to use the distilled/tap water blend, added CaCl if needed (lighter brewers) as well as pH 5.2 for all brews.

I was most concerned about the precipitate coming out of my water when I boiled it. I hadn't seen that before. I actually drained the water and tasted the precipitate (CaCO3 I believe), it had no taste, so I'm sure it is fine.

Drinking: 2013 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Palate Assaulted Again Black IPA and Kaiser Alt Zwei

Old 03-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I use pickling lime to reduce my carbonates. I don't have the time to boil my water ahead of time. I set up my water a day ahead of time and add ~1 tsp of pickling lime. This reacts with the carbonates to make insoluble CaC03. I do this in a bucket with a spigot so I just drain the water off of the precipitate. The only precaution with this is you have to be careful with your pH as the lime is very alkaline. The first few times I did this I was very careful about checking my pH at mash in. I've got it pretty well down now to know how much to add to my water so I don't have to do any additional pH adjustments

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 03-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
jbford
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As a chemist, I do not agree with some of the replies.

Addition of an acid such as citric or lactic will effectively remove the carbonate and get the pH down without adding extra salts

Gypsum (CaSO4) or Calcium chloride will lower the pH and add salts.

Addition of lime (CaCO3) or slaked lime [ Ca(OH)2] will not be productive as they will raise pH

Addition of a Calcium compound and pH 5.2 together will be somewhat counterproductive. The 5.2 is a phosphate buffer and it will precipitate some of the calcium as calcium phosphate.

Dilution with purified water is not necessary with your water as it is not too high in salts.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:24 AM   #9
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

As far as dilution, it's not the salts one tries to curb, it's the hardness. This is the route i go, because the salts of my water are fine, but the hardness is off the charts. After dilution, i actually add certain salt back to the brew water to match the target profile.

I also use 5.2 stabilizer as extra insurance AFTER i've made the appropriate dilution. Also as a chemist, i feel this gets ME to where I need to be.

Just some suggestions.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Old 03-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbford View Post
As a chemist, I do not agree with some of the replies.

Addition of lime (CaCO3) or slaked lime [ Ca(OH)2] will not be productive as they will raise pH
I beg to differ. If one is heavy handed with the slaked lime, then yes you have a pH problem. However, if you are careful with how much you add, the buffering compounds naturally present in the malt will bring the pH right back to where it needs to be. There are equations out there that can be used to calculate how much lime to add in order to avoid pH issues
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply