Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Hi! New AG brewer looking to get a setup for 500 ish

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #21
MindenMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The Bayou Classic burner is the "high pressure" one that has a 10psi regulator, and puts out 55000 BTU's. That same burner with a 20psi regulator puts out 150000 BTU's, If you look long enough, you may find a 20psi regulator to use instead. I have spent many hours looking how to make smart purchases on brewing supplies, and the retailers are a bit dodgy. I am pretty sure you could contact Bayou Burners, and get the low down on their burners.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #22
SpentGrains
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 8

One ten gallon cooler (square is cheaper) and two 15 gallon kegs each with a weldless bulkhead, stainess ball valve and a burner underneath and away you go. All for under $500.

Basically DennyBrew style but in a three tier configuration and ready for 10 gallon batches. No need to stray from the cooler, at least in my case. Stir until I hit mash temp, shut cooler lid and come back in one hour.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:47 AM   #23
1MadScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I know it's very exciting to thumb through a catalog and pick out the goodies you want. We all do it to some degree. IMO, I would diy a 15.5 keg and 10 gallon beverage cooler (with copper manifold or ss braid). Those 2 are the biggies. Adding the extras on a kettle is a matter of personal choice, valve, sight tube and temp. gauge, etc... Also a LP burner and 2 plastic buckets. You now have what it takes to start for a brew day. Welcome to AG!

In Cat Beers - I've Only Had One

BIABrewer.info / Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique

Brewing with MS; http://www.flickr.com/photos/madscie...473769/detail/

Old 02-15-2013, 12:56 AM   #24
1MadScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank_McGee View Post
Hi,
I have done a lot of extract brewing but i finally think its time to get into all grain brewing.. I am looking to get a setup and have been looking at northernbrewer, etc. what caught my eye is something like this, http://www.midwestsupplies.com/8-gallon-all-grain-commercial-quality-kettle-kit.html it looks top line and ive heard only good things from people who are willing to drop the money and upgrade from a cooler.. anyone have any suggestions on ALL equipment i need for all grain batches and where to get it from? im also curious about standing burners, are they worth it in the gas (i have an electric stove so heating takes forever hence the want of a non cooler all grain system =P).. anyways I am looking to buy the complete setup for all grain brewing and would love some help from experienced, thanks everyone.
Those pots are the "Update International" brand as found on the kitchen websites. Beer companies poke a hole in them, call them a fancy name and double the price.

In Cat Beers - I've Only Had One

BIABrewer.info / Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique

Brewing with MS; http://www.flickr.com/photos/madscie...473769/detail/

Old 02-15-2013, 01:07 AM   #25
LuiInIdaho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Consider BIAB

I don't really know what your objective is, but I will offer some thoughts.
I think that you will get more bang for your buck if you consider going BIAB. This will mean that you will need a bigger kettle, but you will also have other opportunities open to you in the future. For instance, I purchased a 20 gallon stainless Bayou Classic kettle with steemer basket for about $180 on Amazon. This would be a fair part of your expense budget, but then you have money to buy a good burner. I purchased the Blichmann Floor Burner at about $150. I do recommend that if you buy this burner, it would be good to buy the extended legs too for the additional $40. If you don't want to spend this much, buy a good Bayou Classic with the Banjo Type burner.
This setup would go a long way to getting you started on all grain. If you don't want to go that route, then I would recommend making a mash tun from a cooler. (They hold temperature well and they are not that expensive). I would also recommend that you buy a kettle (if not going BIAB) of at least 10 gallons. I have purchase two kettles before settling on my 15 gallon kettle for boiling. You will be $ ahead to buy bigger now rather than buying something smaller, then replacing it later. Also, if you don't go BIAB, you might want to have two burners.

If you make some wise choices now, you will be able to get started and have some money left over for other accessories: ball valves, thermometers, wort chillers, hop backs, etc.

Good Luck! Mark

Old 02-15-2013, 01:58 AM   #26
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am not that experienced to be any expert on either style, BIAB or mash tun. But I can say that I have had no trouble handling the grain bag for 5-6 gallon brews, which is about 8-10 pounds of grain. After lifting the bag out, you allow it to briefly drain, then rest it in a colander over a pot. After rinsing with some hot water and squeezing the bag, I pour the remaining liquid into the brew pot and boil.
Now a 10 gallon brew is a different story.
I also wish I bought the 15 gallon pot instead of 10 gallons.

I like beer

Old 02-15-2013, 03:54 AM   #27
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

After reading all the posts and reading all the good ideas I'll put in my 2 cents. When I started brewing extract I bought a 5 gallon aluminum pot and used that for awhile, after about a year I moved to BIAB with a 32qt Bayou Classic aluminum turkey fryer and used my 5 gallon extract pot for "sparging", after a few brews I had realized that using that fryer instead of my stove that it took the same time make 5 gallons of AG as it did extract on my stove and I got to thinking if I can make 5 gallons in 3.5ish hours how much longer will it take to make 10 gallons?

I set out to make a 3 vessel 3 tier system using 3 converted kegs, I added valves from my LHBS and made dip tubes and used a false bottom for the mash tun, I purchased sight glasses and thermometer kits from Brewhardware.com. I built my own stand so I can't say what burner will hold a keg but I spent about $300 to convert the kegs, that would leave you a few hundred to purchase burners (and maybe a mill so you can buy your grain in bulk to save a few more dollars) and you could make 10+ gallons or a big beer without ever wondering if its all gonna fit.

Good luck I hope this helps, remember everyone does whatever works for them so look at what will work for you and if you think you will keep with it go as big as you can now so you are not wasting money by buying bigger later.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #28
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 668 Times on 482 Posts
Likes Given: 395

Lot's of great advice in here for the OP. I'll chime in again, and say to take some time and read through the forums especially the all-grain and equipment sections. You'll probably figure out the type of set up you're leaning towards and then can go from there. I would also suggest making fermentation temperature control a priority especially as we're moving towards spring and summer (hopefully soon).

Old 02-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #29
Fractional
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

heres what i use for a BK its cheap and big lets you expand to 10 or 15 gallon in the future
http://www.amazon.com/Concord-Quart-Stainless-Steel-Cookware/dp/B0085ZNXZ6/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1360944574&sr=8-13&keywords=80+qt+stock+pot

add a weldless fitting your set.
then a for an MLT just get a 10 gallon cooler. never know when you want to brew a big beer

uses your last pot for sparge water and then find a good burner

easy under 360 bucks

Quick Reply