Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Hey folks! New to all grain, would love your input on my gameplan.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
BMGfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Hey folks! New to all grain, would love your input on my gameplan.

Hey folks as I said above I'm planning my first all grain brew day (as many have before here I'm sure), and I'd love your input.

I'm planning a one gallon batch (because I have other needs for my money now and I can use the equipment I have on hand). I have an unmodified 2 gallon cooler sitting around.

The recipe I've put together:
2 lbs Golden promise (2Lov)
8 ozs Crystal 80

I don't have my hops yet but they're coming, so I don't know the AA but I'm going to use Fuggles, targeting 30 ibus or so? Additions at 60 and 15 or 10 (not sure which on the latter yet).

Harvested S-04 with a started (a little concerned about over pitching here)

Hopville claims 1.063OG/1.017FG......which I'm sure I'm gonna miss despite my best efforts not to.

I'm planning to mash in the cooler at 1.3 quarts/lb, not sure what temp yet. I'm planning to "batch sparge" by using a grain bag in the cooler as a "false bottom". I'm planning to mash with the grains in the bag, remove the bag, dump the "first runnings", put the bag back, then add my sparge water and repeat to collect my "second runnings".

I'm aiming for 1.5-ish gallons of wort (haven't done a boil off with water yet, but will before brew day and plan to incorporate that into figuring out my sparge water amount), to boil down to 1 gallon.

I don't know how ideal that is, but I HOPE it's a little more efficent than a BIAB (which is my other option). I have no plans to mess with the mash PH or add brewing salts, I'm planning on using normal tap water which has served me fairly well to this point with my extract batches. My tap water is quite soft and tasty, also I can't smell any clohrine in there if it is.

Anything I'm missing? I'd love any input you guys have, I'm no expert and I know I'll have beer regardless, but I want to have something drinkable and yet breakout "on my own" a bit from an established recipe to test my own knowledge of what I've learned in this awesome hobby

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 69

If I was going to brew such a small amount I would just BIAB. Yes your efficiency will be a little lower but so what? If you just add another 1lb of grain (if that) to make up for it. It will be far easier and faster. You also will might get a better beer since you are essenially only collecting the 1st runnings.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 10-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
emetcalf
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

8 oz of crystal malt is a little high for a batch that small. I would cut it down to 4. Other than that it sounds like you will be fine. For a 1 gallon batch you probably won't even need to do a starter. Mr Malty says you need about 20 ml of yeast slurry, which is only about 1.5 tablespoons.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

You're essentially doing a real-live mash, and the brewing bag is the manifold. I used to do it this way to easily hold temps in the cooler and also be able to sparge and get high efficiency. Nothing wrong with your approach there.

If you're certain you can't hit that OG, why not increase the base malt in order to compensate for a planned low efficiency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
tre9er
Recipes 

consarned double-post blip...

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

With only 2 lbs base malts, I would cut the crystal down to 2 oz.

I did a small experimental batch a couple weeks ago and used BIAB with a full volume mash and no sparge. I got 72% efficiency, which I thought was quite acceptable.

Good luck.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
BMGfan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
If I was going to brew such a small amount I would just BIAB. Yes your efficiency will be a little lower but so what? If you just add another 1lb of grain (if that) to make up for it. It will be far easier and faster. You also will might get a better beer since you are essenially only collecting the 1st runnings.
I will eventually go 5 gallon all grain. I'm mostly focused on the procedure, and wanting to try to mash properly. Hell I'm not even tied to the beer style, this is all about the procedure and developing my process for when I scale up Hell I'm not even tied to the beer style as I expect my OG to slide (not that I don't intend to try and hit it), I'm going to brew and get what I get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emetcalf View Post
8 oz of crystal malt is a little high for a batch that small. I would cut it down to 4. Other than that it sounds like you will be fine. For a 1 gallon batch you probably won't even need to do a starter. Mr Malty says you need about 20 ml of yeast slurry, which is only about 1.5 tablespoons.
What is the difference between the 8oz of crystal and the 4oz? Why would you recommend dropping the amount? What parameter of my beer will that change make? I'll most likely drop it to the 4oz, but I'm all about learning

As for the yeast starter I could probably just pitch half a pack of some decent yeast....but I don't have any. Here in BFE the only yeast I readilly have access to is coopers 5g packets....yuck.

So I'm going to rouse some nearly year old washed S-04, get her going in a starter, wash it again, and pitch. If I wash the cake that comes off the batch that yeast should be nice and healthy again (I think)

Old 10-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGfan View Post
What is the difference between the 8oz of crystal and the 4oz? Why would you recommend dropping the amount? What parameter of my beer will that change make? I'll most likely drop it to the 4oz, but I'm all about learning
It will affect color and sweetness of the beer. 8oz. in that batch size will be dark and very sweet. I usually use about 10-15% max crystal malts, but have been known to go over that for certain styles.

Quote:

Old 10-25-2012, 01:33 AM   #9
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 544 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 10

While using the cooler might be a nice exercise, for a one gallon batch BIAB would be very simple...mash in your kettle and stick the kettle in a warm oven during the mash. Just FWIW and cheers

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Corona Mill Bucket System V. 2

Old 10-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
emetcalf
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGfan View Post

As for the yeast starter I could probably just pitch half a pack of some decent yeast....but I don't have any. Here in BFE the only yeast I readilly have access to is coopers 5g packets....yuck.

So I'm going to rouse some nearly year old washed S-04, get her going in a starter, wash it again, and pitch. If I wash the cake that comes off the batch that yeast should be nice and healthy again (I think)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
It will affect color and sweetness of the beer. 8oz. in that batch size will be dark and very sweet. I usually use about 10-15% max crystal malts, but have been known to go over that for certain styles.
This is pretty much it. Crystal malt is mostly unfermentable, so it will make your finished beer pretty thick. Going from 8 oz to 4 oz drops you from 20% crystal malt down to 11%.

If your yeast is a year old then the starter is a good idea. You will probably still end up over pitching, but it shouldn't hurt anything too much.

Quick Reply