Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > HERMS recirc rate, mash out, and grain bed compaction

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
Lambo3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default HERMS recirc rate, mash out, and grain bed compaction

I haven't really been able to find a clear answer on this by searching, so I'm starting a new thread.

Step mashing seems to be a debate amoung many on whether or not you are really "step" mashing, and I get that. I'm more interested in what is possible for temperature ramp up rates in a herms system.

What I did find in searching, is that many run their recirc pump wide up when attempting to increase temperature. I also found several threads concerns about grain bed compaction and flow rate, which appears to be recommended at no more that 1GPM in most cases - so, is wide open a bad idea?

So, let's here it? Can you safely run wide open? Are there parameters around when and how? My mash tun will be running 9000W of heating juice, so I should have the power needed, it is now a matter of concerning myself with getting high flow rates, and if high flow is even possible. (The whole system is built with 15G keggles)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts

I have compacted the grain bed before from pumping too fast. It's really not a big deal, just lost time. Stir the grain bed up again and reset it. What you can get away with will depend on your system and the grist. Installing a vacuum gauge on the outlet of the mash tun would help you see how fast you can pump. Or 2 sight glasses...one with the inlet above the false bottom and one below, then compare the levels while you're recirculating. Rice hulls and malt conditioning will also help you get a higher flow rate before compaction happens.

Drinking: RIS, Coffee RIS, Jalapeno RIS, Heavy Hopper v2, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel, Wee-Heavy

Old 07-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
dryboroughbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've had compaction issues previously, however, I've not had it occur since I started wet milling, and installed a new 'gentler' return on my MLT. (last beer was 50/50 wheat/barley)

Quick Reply