Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > HERMS Mash-Tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default HERMS Mash-Tun

I'm drawing up plans with another newbie brewer, and I'm pretty sure that I have it figured out, but I wanted to confirm that things are placed nicely in my brain.

We'll be using a keggle-setup for all 3 containers, and we're planning on building an eHERMS setup.

We'll insulate the mash-tun as best we can, but I'm expecting some heat-loss due to the fact that we'll be brewing in my garage (in cold-ass Canada). Since we're going HERMS, I can recirc the wort through the HLT and warm up the mash, that way, that's a given.

Now, where my brain is stuck is with vorlaufing (if it's not a verb, it is now).

Essentially, if I'm slowly pulling liquid from the mash, and putting it through the HLT throughout the mashing process, I'm assuming that that can be considered "vorlaufing", right? I would still vorlauf at the end, but rather than pull several liters of wort before it goes clear, I could expect it to be clear almost immediately, right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
mcl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You won't need to vorlauf at the end if you continuously recirculate. I just ordered on of these to insulate my mash tun. The price seemed reasonable to me and it allowed me to avoid the insulation project.
http://thekegkoozy.com/about-the-keg-koozie

Old 01-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yeah, I've seen those. It's between Reflectix and that for insulation. My buddy likes to do everything on the cheap, and we can get 100ft of reflectix for $80, that would do all 3 keggles, lids and maybe make some nifty pants with the remnants.

I've read that the keg koozy can't really maintain temps over 150F too long, and since most mashes in my recipes call for mid-150s, I'm gonna be stuck recirculating the wort through the mash, anyways.

I don't want to constantly recirculate the wort, but I'm assuming if I have to recirculate it for 10min out of the mash (probably in the later half of the mash), that'll be enough to settle the grain bed.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
mcl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am curious why you don't want to constantly recirculate. Life of pump or something else?

Quick Reply