New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Help with a wee heavy - Caramelized wort

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
BryceL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts

Default Help with a wee heavy - Caramelized wort

Hey guys, I'm looking for some ideas/techniques for a wee heavy that I'm working on. I would like to caramelize the wort to get some of that traditional flavor in there. I currently use the BIAB method and batch sparge. Prior to my sparge I usually end up with 3 gallons or so of wort. I then sparge with whatever I need to achieve my pre-boil volume. I've got a couple ideas on how to do this, but would like some input, ideas, or suggestions. Thanks in advance!

1. After my mash, boil my wort (3 gallons or so) for 30 minutes. Remove this from my kettle and set aside while I sparge. Then return combine the first runnings back into the kettle and do a 60 minute boil.

2. Mash and sparge as I would with a regular batch and simply increase the boil to 90 minutes.

3. Take only 1-2 gallons of my first runnings and boil heavily until it is reduced by half, then add the rest of the wort for the 60 minute boil.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply