Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Help-Strike Water Temp Calculation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Help-Strike Water Temp Calculation

Still trying to get it all "put together"

Strike water. I found a calculator on "homebrewing.com" for calculating the temp.. but it has one box I don't know how to fill in because I've never used my new mash tun. I'm going to be doing small batches.. 2.5G.. so I built a MT out of a 25 Qt (5G) Igloo drink cooler. (rectangular.. not round)

Since I've never used it, How do I know what the "Equipment Loss" will be?

I know it would be a wild guess on anyone's part.. but, what might be a good starting number for my first batch? Another option is to pre-heat the MT.. That should almost make that part of the equation moot.

As it is, if I omit any loss.. IOW, if I say there is NO loss due to equipment, my strike water should be 167* for 6.6# grain.

I'm guessing it should be about 170* plus.. but not sure how much plus..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 84 Posts

You can assume anywhere from 0-2qts and be close --as you said depends on your system. I think most people have about 1/2 qt dead space though.

I'm on my cell phone app and don't have my brewing software to calculate infusion temp for you, but 170* for 6 lbs sounds a little high depending on what your mash temp is.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
kkimmes
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a 10 gallon Rubbermaid mashtun and I have been using 2-3 degrees for equipment heat loss and my temps have been right where I need them to be. If I was you, I would do the same for the first batch. Try using 3 degrees and you can adjust once you have some history behind you.

Quote:
As it is, if I omit any loss.. IOW, if I say there is NO loss due to equipment, my strike water should be 167* for 6.6# grain.

I'm guessing it should be about 170* plus.. but not sure how much plus
When you say 170*, I hope you are guessing at the strike water temp, not the target temp...

I typically get strike water temps around 165-167 with the intent of setting in at 152* or so. It really all depends on the pounds of grain and volume of water and the equipment loss you know from history. Like I said, I would assume 2-3* for equipment.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
HopSong

Recipes 

Shows how dead I am on this whole thing..
I'm wanting my Mash Temp to be 154* So, If I'm using a heated MT.. and grain is at 70* I should only have to raise the Strike temp in the kettle a few degrees? I'd think the grain would really suck the heat. I'm only be using about 6.5# of grain in the 6G ice chest.

Also, sparge temp? I think, from what I've read, I should sparge at about 168*. Should that be my temp from the HLT into the MT.. or should it be a couple degrees higher also? Or, is that even critical?

Old 09-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
jwsquared
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Are you talking about thermal loss to the mash tun? If so, you can minimize this by preheating the tun before you add grain or strike water. I just fill the mash tun with hot water from my faucet (its about 130F) and let it set until I'm ready to go. Then I dump the hot water and grain and strike water and go from there.

The first time I did a mash, I forgot to preheat. If I remember correctly, the mash temp ended up about 2 degrees F less than what I was shooting for, not a major issue.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
HopSong

Recipes 

Yessir.. Sounds like I only have t account for a couple of degrees.. which is good.. I'll keep track of all of my numbers on this first brew.. now where is my binder??

Should be able to build a reasonable profile from there.

Quick Reply