Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Help with recipe..Partial kit turned Pumpkin??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
purist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help with recipe..Partial kit turned Pumpkin??

I am on my third brew here, all partial mash so far. To this point things are going well. My first brew was an ale that turned a bit sour, I think it may have been an infection, things were pretty frantic in the kitchen and my thermometer broke half way through. The next two have been right on though.

The big reason I jumped into brewing my own though has been to brew drinks that I can't generally get around here. Pumpkin ale being on top of my list. And that banana bread one is in there too. I love a good pumpkin with great spice, sweetness and creaminess. Pie in a bottle. one of the breweries in town makes a great one, but it only last 3 weeks!

SO I am hoping you can help me pick a kit and develop a recipe to give a run at. The list of kits to choose from is here (link). I have 6 cans of organic pumpkin flesh at the moment.

If you would, please pick a kit and give me an additional recipe that might work well. (might even try a wit or wiezen version)

IF I am way off base here, tell me that too! Thanks a bunch, you've been an incredible resource through the first three.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

You don't think it's a little late in the season to be making a pumpkin beer? You won't be drinking it until about January. While I'll drink a beer just about anytime, I find that my friends will practically NEVER drink seasonal beers out of season... so if you don't mind putting down pumpkin beers through the spring, go for it.

As for a recipe, just about any beer will work well but people are partial towards amber/red ales first and you'll occasionally see a pumpkin stout. I don't have time to write out an entire pumpkin beer tutorial because there's a lot of stuff to think about. You should just do some reading of all the pumpkin beer threads here.

In general, most people use a little extra crystal malt, canned pumpkin in the mash is easiest, low hop rates, some spice additions at least towards the end of the boil, and possibly some at the beginning.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
purist
Recipes 

thanks for the help! Yeah I have been absorbing the threads on pumpkin beers a good deal. Just nervous about picking the right kit mostly! thanks

Old 11-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
purist
Recipes 

I'll drink pumpkin for easter, no worries there.

Quick Reply