Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Help needed with "Mash in, Mash out and fly sparge"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
ColeR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Help needed with "Mash in, Mash out and fly sparge"

My eff was only 55% for a 10gal batch of WIT. My last 3 brew batches were all +/- a % point off of 55%, so at least I’m consistent.

I found the option in beersmith for the mash in and then mash out option, and then to fly sparge. (not what I used for the WIT though, I used mash in then fly sparge, I followed the instruction perfectly temp, water, time still only 55%, the grain crush was perfect as well. Thanks Mike from Stilly Mashers of Arlington.)

I use a 3 keg Herms system, 2 pumps.

If I use the mash in, mash out and fly sparge the instructions look like below.

Mash in 8.84 gal of water at 162.5 deg, strike water, ok easy
Mash out 5.00 gal of water at 207.4 deg <== confusing part for me.. WTH, do I do here?

Then fly sparge 3.46 gal of water at 168.5 deg, ok easy

My question would be does this mean I have to light the burner under the mash tun to bring up the temp to 207 then sparge 5 gal out then start the 3.46 gal of fly sparge water at 168?

Only been brewing AG since, new years eve. I’m trying to stop over compensating with grain for low Eff.

here is a pic for reference.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
jyda
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't fly sparge so my advice my be off and I hope a more experienced brewer will chime in.

3 gallons of sparge seems low to me. If I were you, I would mash as you are, direct fire to mash out (168 F), then fly sparge until your runnings are 1.0xx or pH is x instead of volume.

A more experienced fly sparge person would have to fill in the x's in the gravity and pH above.

Hope this at least gives you some ideas.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Beersmith is telling you to do an infusion of water at near boiling to raise to mash out temp. Since you have a burner for your mash tun you can light the burner and raise it to mash out, without adding water. To up your efficiency you will want to utilize as much sparge water as you can. For efficiency woes that low with a ten gallon batch you should be looking at your crush, and since you fly sparge you will also have to look at the time it takes you to sparge, as well as possible channeling.

I have never done a wit, that includes mostly wheat correct? If I remember correctly some wheat doesn't convert unless you have enough base malt. Again I don't have any experience with wits so take this last statement with a grain of salt.

Edit: I just reread you had herms, you can heat your sparge water to mash out temp while running herms to bring your mash to mash out temps.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
ColeR
Recipes 

Thanks!!!

My 2 brews before the WIT were a ipa and a dead guy clone, i got the same EFF of 55%

I'm adding all the info i get here to my folder so i can try one thing at a time to figure this out.

edit 1. he WIT is mostly pale 2 row with oat, and wheat flakes added

edit 2. Oh i have been draining the mash tun at 150 then fly sparging at 168, from what you just typed i need to bring the whole thing up to 168 before i sparge at all.. now thats easy to do.

Last edited by ColeR; 06-04-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeR
Thanks!!!

My 2 brews before the WIT were a ipa and a dead guy clone, i got the same EFF of 55%

I'm add all the info i get here to my folder so i can try one thing at a time to figure this out.
That is quite a rig you have got yourself. If you are struggling with efficiency across different brew styles I'd be more interested in a detailed description of your brew day process to figure out what's going wrong.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
ColeR
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixs4r View Post
That is quite a rig you have got yourself. If you are struggling with efficiency across different brew styles I'd be more interested in a detailed description of your brew day process to figure out what's going wrong.

give me a bit and i'll get it typed up. and post it.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
ColeR
Recipes 

Here is a normal brew day, that I hope has some changes

1. Fill herms up heat to 150
  2. Fill up BK to 162. Strike water
  3. Put grains in MT
  4. Add strike water to MT.
  5. Stir grain bed to avoid clumping in the MT
  6. Start herms pump up and follow time sheet (60, 75, 90 min?)
  7. When time limit was up I would then start to pump wort to BK @150deg, very slow
  8. would bring herms water up to 168.
  9. When the wort @150deg was sparged out to just at top of grain bed I would Start adding 168deg water to top of grain bed for the fly sparge. very slow about 45 min.. to do this
  10. Once desired volume was in the BK boil, do additions as normal.
  11. Boil down for the time limit,
  12. cool asap,
  13. Transfer it,
  14. add yeast.
relax

i think steps 7 - 9 are where i need to adjust things

Last edited by ColeR; 06-04-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

I would bring herms water up to 168 before draining the mash tun, also, I believe in fly sparging, you don't want to add water after you drain, you drain while adding water. You want to control the flow so that the entire process takes an hour.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
ColeR
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixs4r View Post
I would bring herms water up to 168 before draining the mash tun, also, I believe in fly sparging, you don't want to add water after you drain, you drain while adding water. You want to control the flow so that the entire process takes an hour.
THANK YOU!!!

thats what i gathered from reading your above comments. i read on other posts you have made, your getting 90%, one day maybe i'll get there

Old 06-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Please don't think you need to get that high. I would take 75 percent every since brew day then bouncing back and forth between 80-90%. Making a great beer the first time is only half as great as being able to make the same beer, every time.

Quick Reply