Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > HELP NEEDED ASAP-"Non Alcoholic" homebrew advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 07:06 AM   #1
MMTG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default HELP NEEDED ASAP-"Non Alcoholic" homebrew advice

First of all, I want to thank everyone who contributes their shared experiences. I have learned so much in my short time here. I hope to give back to my fellow HBT'ers one day soon!

That being said, this is a topic near and dear to my heart. A good friend of mine(former beer lover) had a near fatal cardiac arrest and cannot drink alcohol(Cardiologists orders) I'd like to brew up a 5 gallon batch of "non alcoholic" homebrew.

I'm aware that all "NA" brew have a mimimal amount of alcohol(less than 0.5%) He is allowed NA brews, but he hates the BMC crap... I know there's other commercial options, but he loves IPA's/APA's,and I'd like to order a all grain kit from AHS ASAP! This kit sounds great- AHS Session Series Northwest Special [05105] (http://www.austinhomebrew.com)

So my question is this, what do i need to do differently to ensure that we make a great tasting homebrew minus the alcohol. This kit is already low(3.9%) What do I do differently through out the fermentation process?(amount of yeast to pitch, length of primary/secondary?)

Thanks in advance for all your help! I appreciate it more than I can express.

Salud

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here is a link to BM's technique of boiling out the alcohol, which i've done before: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/crea...my-beer-39433/

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 01-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

BTW is you are kegging+Force carbing no problem, but if you bottle, you need to add a packet of dry yeast with priming sugar to carbonate it.

p.s. you will also lose some hop characteristics by boiling away aroma. might want to look into hop extract to counter this.

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 01-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

You might consider mashing at 158F. That will reduce the fermentables. And I'd hold off on the aroma hops until the end of the alcohol boil-off.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
twoodward15
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
You might consider mashing at 158F. That will reduce the fermentables. And I'd hold off on the aroma hops until the end of the alcohol boil-off.
It's reducing fermentable sugar, not reducing sugar. The OG will be just as high as before, but you'll have a bunch of unfermentable sugars, thus a sweet beer that is NA. Have him try adding a hop pellet or two to a bottle of NA before he drinks it to see how that is.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
HIM_Tattoos
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I had done some research on this myself not to long ago. I don't reacall all of the info that I had found but what I remember from it:

The best thing to do is to bake off the alcohol. IIRC, you would place the fermented beer in the oven at 150-175 for about an hour. I read conflicting info on the removal of hop flavor rearding this method. I plan on purchasing a pony keg and trying this, but have yet to do so.

Again this is just what I recall from the few hours of research I did, and facts may be incorrect.

Reason: My sentence structure and spelling = FAIL

Old 01-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
Mista_Sparkle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

could you boil off the alcohol via a vacuum? seems like if you did this, you wouldn't get any off tastes because of heating, though it may be impractical and not work

Primary #1+Auxiliary: Burning River Pale Ale clone
Primary #2: empty
Primary #3: EdWorts Apfelwein #4
Conditioning/Drinking:Brewers Best Belgian Tripel, Apfelwein #3, EdWorts Apfelwein #2, Cranapple Wine, Routers Share Network Closet Strong Scotch Ale, McCormack's Old Malt Oatmeal Stout

Old 01-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoodward15 View Post
Have him try adding a hop pellet or two to a bottle of NA before he drinks it to see how that is.
I know this does not exactly answer your question-- but I second this approach, in the meantime while you are making the NA beer. I have made some gluten free beer...the sorghum has a cidery taste. We put pellets or hop flowers in the pint glass to cover up cr#p beer. I also have cut up fresh/whole ginger root and put the slices in, + a slice of orange.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
toman8r
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Check this out:

http://hbd.org/hbd/archive/1609.html#1609-18

I strongly suggest not giving any beer to your friend until you have accurately tested the alcohol level and determined it is truly NA.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
noblesquirrel
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoodward15 View Post
It's reducing fermentable sugar, not reducing sugar. The OG will be just as high as before, but you'll have a bunch of unfermentable sugars, thus a sweet beer that is NA. Have him try adding a hop pellet or two to a bottle of NA before he drinks it to see how that is.

Dextrins do not correlate with sweetness, as an FYI...

Brian
BJCP - C0839 Master/Mead Judge

HOPS! Homebrewers' Pride of the Southside

Quick Reply