Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Help, My Stout went all wrong!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2006, 02:11 AM   #1
SheanW222
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help, My Stout went all wrong!

I am trying to figure out where I went wrong, someone help me... I am getting ready to start my very first AG Stout, but I need to learn where my mistake was with my partial mash so I dont make the same mistake again.... When bottling night came around instead of a nice colored good smelling brew I got a chunky, burnt smelling septic style juice that was even hard to siphon from the firmenter to the bottling bucket. As hard as it is to say, I think this one my stink as brew... Here's where I think I went wrong... 1. I didnt do a second firmentation (I added my clarifier, and my stabilizer to the priming mix @ bottling) 2. I waited a week after the bubbling stopped to bottle. 3. I cooked my wart for 2 hours. Someone help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2006, 02:15 AM   #2
SheanW222
Recipes 

oh I forgot to add that on the backend it was a little sour tasting... And before anyone asks yes I sanitized everything before I started.

Old 02-02-2006, 02:43 AM   #3
adamk222
Recipes 

glad to see your finaly aboard the brew train bro i think this board will have us up to spead in no time oh and as far as your stout goes 1.the boil time of 2 houres was a bit long which can acount for the chunky texture id shoot for an houre but then again i dont know weather you used dme,grains or syrup

Old 02-02-2006, 03:19 AM   #4
Sasquatch

Recipes 

Chunky septic juice is not caused by overzealous boiling, unless you burned the fermentable sugars into charcoal on the bottom of your brewpot.... My guess is, somewhere, you forgot to sanitize something. You can brew pretty good beer from pretty mediocre ingredients if you keep everything clean. So, back to basics. Which sanitizer did you use? How did you use it? What strength etc.

I use chlorinated TSP (the pink powder) and I rinse everything 3 times and work with wet stuff. Exposure to air is maybe 20 minutes max on any particular piece of equipment. Sanitized rubber gloves help.

If you haven't mastered making beer simply, why are you adding clarifiers and stabilizers? Forget that crap. Hops, barley, yeast, water. KISS

Primary: Lager

Secondary: Sangiovese, Honey Nut Brown, some Pilsner/ale kinda thing that just won't quit...

Bottled:
Tar Sands Porter, Special Dark Bitter,Oaky Red ale, Hammer & Tongs Black Ale, Black Draught, Cooper's Bitter, Baron's Pilsner
Super Saazy Saaz Pilsner Saaz (It's a little green, yet)

Old 02-02-2006, 03:38 AM   #5
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

stouts can be tricky. often more viscous and acidic due to the darker roasted malts. maybe just give it some extra time in the bottle to mellow and age.

give us some details on the partial mash you did?

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 02-02-2006, 04:41 PM   #6
cowain
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm calling this one an infection. Do you have a wort chiller? Did your fermentation get off to a quick start? Did you do a starter?

Old 02-03-2006, 02:53 AM   #7
The Happy Mug

Recipes 

Totally sounds like an infection to me. Even if you sanitized everything, there could be wild yeast or something in the air that made its way in. I personally spray my place down with Oust or other air sanitizer before I start.

Allergy Warning: This post was made by a person who may be nuts

From the store: Nothing right now, how sad
Up Next: Thinking about an amber rye
Secondary: "Not as Pale as Death" pale ale (since april, man I hate bottling.)
In bottles: Lager than Life Beer, Rocky Raccoon Honey Lager, A nameless Imperial Stout (my first AG!)

Old 02-03-2006, 03:03 AM   #8
subwyking
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i think your beer got the HIV too. thorough sanatation is paramount.

Old 02-03-2006, 01:47 PM   #9
SheanW222
Recipes 

Default Thanks for the help guys...

My Wort recipe was as follows....
6lbs. DME
1lb. Chocolate Malt
1lb. Dark Roasted Malt
1lb. dark brown sugar
1 1/2 ounces of Cascades
1 oz of Hallartau

Fairly simple recipe I thought, do you think the sourness could be from the acidity of the darker malts? If so then some time in the bottle with Amylace should fix that problem right? This was my first attempt at a stout, I have had great success with red and brown ales so I thought I would really go for it this time and test myself. I love stout and I dont think people really apprieciate a good beer especially here in america. Thanks to prohibition everyone loves Buttwiper.... oh well, anyway back to original problem, I sanitized with bleach, and rinsed 3 times and didnt give my firmenter more than 20 minutes of airtime before I started. The firmentation started within 6 hours of the yeast being added to the wort and went strong for 3 days then died to almost nothing (maybe the mix was too hot?). Gloves are a good idea, I think I will get me some of those. So based on that what do ya'll think

Old 02-04-2006, 04:50 PM   #10
alemonkey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Don't know if this caused it, but I really don't like using bleach for sanitizer. IMO, rinsing out the bleach with water defeats the purpose of sanitizing, since tap water can have bacteria. I much prefer Star San - it's a no rinse sanitizer.

Quick Reply