Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Help MLT failure during mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Cimerian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Help MLT failure during mash

I'm using a cooler with a manifold and evidently I must have knocked the manifold apart when I stirred for the mash. I've tried using a stainless scrubby as a filter but that isn't working. I'm stuck here with grains and water in the cooler and no way to get the runnings out. Could I stick my hand down in the grains maybe and try and reconnect the manifold then drain out the grains and extend the mash? Need some ideas here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

No problem sticking your hand in the mash if you don't mind the hot temperatures. If I were in your situation, I'd try putting on some of those yellow cleaning gloves first to see if that keeps your hands from possibly getting burnt. Just listen to your body and pull your hands out if it starts getting too hot. Having a small tub of cold water nearby to cool them off right after wouldn't be a bad idea in my books.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Cimerian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok well I found the spot it came apart. Yep it's really hot. Don't have any gloves to use but gonna try putting it back together if I can keep my hands in long enough.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
Cimerian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Whew. Found some vinyl paint gloves that let me stay in long enough to get it back together. My beer is saved!

Quick Reply