Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > help me please with batch sparging!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 03:05 AM   #11
earlytimes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default All went well

update: I batch sparged using option A and at the end of the day, I ended up with a brewhouse efficiency of close to 79%!!! I guess AHS does a pretty good job with their crush. (So much for convincing SWMBO I need that new barley crusher)

All went well for my first all-grain brew. I hit all my temperatures spot on and actually ended up a couple points above the target S.G. The only downside was from getting the equipment out to cleaning it up and putting it back away, it was a little over 6 hours! Hopefully I can trim almost an hour off of that next time...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 03:17 AM   #12
TimSTi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

congrats.. i hit 79% my first allgrain last weekend.. oddly enough ingredients were ordered from AHS as well..

Primary1:Empty
Primary2: Cream of 3 Crops 2/2
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Red Ale 11/23 - Imperial Winter Ale 1/5 - Orange/Cascade PA 2/16
Next Up: American Bock - Apfelwein

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-08-2009, 03:33 AM   #13
bell0347
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Yes, Beersmith is definitely worth the money! I think there is an option on the mash profile detail button that lets you choosed equal size batch sparges. It will give you a low sparge temp of like 168. You can go back in and up it to whatever you want. Took me a while to get the program figured out, still learning it. Lots of handy features in there once you find em.

B.Bell

"Hell, it aint rocket surgery"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Beer should never enter a septic system until it's had a trip through the kidneys first. :D

Old 02-08-2009, 05:01 AM   #14
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

c) don't sparge with more water than you mashed with. Alternately, sparge with more water than you mashed with and brag about your efficiency.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #15
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 934 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 28

That sounds like a pretty arbitrary rule of thumb and it fails when the intended OG is under 1.045 or so. I just did a 1.038 OG beer and my strike was 5.5 gal (1.6qt/lb ratio) and my sparge to hit preboil was 8.5 gallons. I assure you I wasn't choosing that strike/sparge ratio for any bragging purposes. I suppose I could have gone to a 2qt/lb ratio but it's thinner than I prefer to mash.

Are you making a claim about suffering wort quality at high efficiencies? My sparge runnings were 1.016 and in safe PH range. Did I ruin my beer?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply