*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Help me with an English Barleywine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2007, 01:55 AM   #1
Steve973
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help me with an English Barleywine

If you were going to brew an English Barleywine, what grains would you use? Let's say you were trying to make something akin to J W Lee's harvest ale. What would you do to give it over-the-top maltiness and that great raisin/toffee/caramel flavor?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2007, 03:21 AM   #2
Iordz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know if I can help you with the entire recipe but the dark crystal malts will give you the raison/caramel flavor you are looking for. It's very important to use an English pale ale malt as the base, with some medium crystal or cara malts and finally, a little bit of Special B or crystal 100-120L. Make sure not to go too crazy with the crystal/character malts, I would not use more than 5% dark crystal. Remember that the English yeasts usually attenuate a little lower than American yeast and add fruitiness, so the beer will be quite malty without the use of too much crystal malt. You shouldd use a healthy portion of English hops (EKG for me!) to balance the maltiness and keep the beer from becoming cloying.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply