The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Help with increasing mash efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
brewerelated
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
4) Increasing water to grist ratio. I get a little better efficiency when mashing towards 2 qts/lb vs 1.5. Not sure why, but it seems to work.
Increasing the water to grist ratio will decrease the saturation of sugars in the wort. When you sparge into a brand new batch of water that water contains no sugar so sparging is a very efficient way to extract more sugar. Using a higher water to grist ratio works under the same principle since having more water means having less sugar concentration in the water therefore more room for sugar to leave the grains and enter the water.

Given this principle you would get an even greater efficiency if you have room to do a full boil. Full boil will also give you greater efficiency in hop utilization. This is based on the same principle as sugar. There is only so much bitterness that can be concentrated into the water. Having more water gives you more room to extract bitterness from the hops.

I know I am really late to this thread, but I thought I could help.

Last edited by brewerelated; 11-29-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: quote

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
BillBaxter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey guys. This thread has already been helpful but I have just one, perhaps stupid, question. I've been brewing one gallon, all grain batches for some time now and I have had some trouble with mash efficiency. My question is: Do the principles outlined here already (more mash water per pound of grain, longer mash time) apply essentially the same for one gallon batches?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply