Popular topic on here and just wondering if someone could help me raise my efficiency.
My Rig - Pictures in my Sigature
- Kal Clone Electric Control Panel
- Keggle HLT with 50 ft 1/2 Copper Herms Coil
- 70 qt Mash Tun, copper manifold, four sections longways, with slots every 1/4 to 1/5 of an inch
- Keggle BK
- Fill HLT with 14 gallons and heat to strike temp
- Fill mashtun with strike volume and cycle through Herms to heat to Strike Temp
- Crush Grains - Monster MM3 2.0. Set at .029 typically(if I am measuring correctly, crush looks good), I use a Habor freights 500 RPM drill at 1/3 speed
- Dough at strike temp and mix to break up dough balls
- Once temp stabilizes at mash temp, set timer for 60-90 minutes and leave herms recirc on the whole time
- My return is a hose laying on water/grain bed
- Sparging - I tried batch and fly with the exact same numbers(~68 efficiency), use a mash out most of the time(168)
- Batch: Drain mash tun into BK, refill with water @ 168, stir and sit for 15 minutes, drain and repeat to get my boil volume.
- Fly: slowly fill boil while draining mash, usually around 45 minutes, try to match rates.