Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Help formulating Coffee IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #21
pkrath84
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 51

This makes sense to me.

The first beer I dry hopped was only for a few days and it turned out with more aroma than I thought I would.

Right now I've got 2 oz Citra and .5 oz Cascade in there dry hopping in the primary. I think I'll finish up these a little bit longer in the primary, rack to secondary to clear and put a bit more hops in the secondary to make up for any losses and give it a fresh shot of hop before bottling.

Whats the typical turn around for a IIPA? I know hop aromas are extremely volatile but I always imagined they sped up the distribution rather than production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeRy View Post
I use secondary all the time to clear my beers as I dont have the abililty to cold crash either. If you dry hop the way your talking about you might lose some of that dry-hopped goodness due to the aging. One thing that has been popular lately is to do double dry hops where you dry hop for the last few days in primary then go do secondary and dry hop again the last few days there.

I used to dry hop for 5-7 days until I heard a podcast with Mitch Steele from Stone Brewing. In the podcast he states that its best to dry hop for 2-3 days as thats all the time it takes to extract the best parts of the hop without risking any grassy or vegetal flavors. He said that then longer dry hops start to extract the off-flavors and that all of the new thinking with dry hopping is that shorter is better. I switched to this method and find that I get all that I want out of shorter dry hops.

If I was in your shoes, I would transfer to secondary and dry hop for the last 3 days along with the coffee addition, if thats where you are going to add it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #22
pkrath84
Recipes 

I took another sample today to check up on my dry hop.

With carbonation this should smell nicely, but I'm debating on putting in more Citra and maybe cascade. I really like the tropical smell the Citra imparted.

Also, with this sample I'm questioning my bittering hop addition. I'm thinking about either adding significantly MORE cascade for bittering due to the low aa% or subbing out part or ALL of my cascade bittering hops for centennial hops.

I have some critique for my flavor additions and the resulting profile but I'll hold off until the coffee makes it into the mix because I feel like I'm starting to critique this as a regular IIPA rather than a coffee. The flavors are going to change significantly.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #23
TahoeRy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Centennial is a great hop and will really work well with the citra and cascade combo.

I agree, that beer is going to change a bit when you add that coffee. It might just be what your looking for though based on your early tastes. Keep us posted I am anxious on how your going to do that coffee addition and how it affects your overall beer. The beer I brewed is now mellowing into an awesome beer. It kind of taking on a port tastes, which I am digging. Its crazy how much these flavors are blending, but again, it was a huge, dark, chocolatey stout. I think its going add something special to your IPA. Really be careful though, it likes to dominate.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #24
pkrath84
Recipes 

I'm pretty stoked as well. I put my most recent sample into the refrigerator and make another batch of coffee to do a blended test and can hardly wait!

It looks like I'll be bottling this Friday night!

Old 06-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #25
pkrath84
Recipes 

This beer got bottled early this morning. The night before I cold steeped about 1.25lb of fresh coarse ground french roast from sprouts for 14 hours in 9 cups of water. At bottling, I ended up using about 4oz for a 4 gallon batch, starting with 2oz + 1 + 1. The flavor I ended with provided a bold enough coffee flavor but left enough for the hops to come through not only in flavor but in the nose as well.

This should taste interesting in 3-4 weeks once it's had time to carb up and the flavors have melded. Normally I'd give this beer 4 weeks, but with the weather lately, I think it'll be carb'd in 3.

bottled-coffee.jpg  

Old 06-28-2013, 04:37 AM   #26
pkrath84
Recipes 

Well, its DONE!

It took a while but my Imperial Coffee IPA is finished and it tastes quite good.

Right now I feel I'm getting about 75% of the IPA flavor and about 25% coffee flavor with the 4oz of extract that I used. I think I'll step it up to 4.5-5oz next time around to hit about 30-35% coffee flavor but allowing the IPA to still come through firmly. Any more coffee and I'm sure I'd have to adjust the hop schedule a little bit (more flavoring hops).

Aroma gives off bright hoppy character of Citra, a little tropical fruit on the nose and the coffee comes through just enough to let you know its there and mellow/round things out. On the pour you get a nice dark amber color with a bit of that chocolate tint and a 2.5 finger head that floats up lusciously (more airy and foamy much like a cappuccino) that's got a mocha tint.

On the tongue, you get a nice hint of tropical IPA that melds well with the cold brewed coffee. Nice coffee, chocolate, caramel notes supported by the hop bitterness but not dragged down by any astringency that you typically see from hot steeped coffee. In fact, I believe that's why I need more cold brew than expected to let it shine through a bit more. This beer has a real decent malt backbone that is NOT cloyingly sweet. I think the 50/50 blend of light malt and maris otter really made it here.

If you're sick of drinking Coffee IPAs and are sick of tasting burnt coffee... I HIGHLY suggest you try this out and then post back here to let us know what you thought.

I'll be sending out a few bottles of this to some people on the board with trades for some feedback.

Anyone in Orange County that wants to try and give feedback? Hit me up and let me know.

icipa.jpg   icipa2.jpg  

Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #27
duttry14
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrath84 View Post
Well, its DONE!

It took a while but my Imperial Coffee IPA is finished and it tastes quite good.

Right now I feel I'm getting about 75% of the IPA flavor and about 25% coffee flavor with the 4oz of extract that I used. I think I'll step it up to 4.5-5oz next time around to hit about 30-35% coffee flavor but allowing the IPA to still come through firmly. Any more coffee and I'm sure I'd have to adjust the hop schedule a little bit (more flavoring hops).

Aroma gives off bright hoppy character of Citra, a little tropical fruit on the nose and the coffee comes through just enough to let you know its there and mellow/round things out. On the pour you get a nice dark amber color with a bit of that chocolate tint and a 2.5 finger head that floats up lusciously (more airy and foamy much like a cappuccino) that's got a mocha tint.

On the tongue, you get a nice hint of tropical IPA that melds well with the cold brewed coffee. Nice coffee, chocolate, caramel notes supported by the hop bitterness but not dragged down by any astringency that you typically see from hot steeped coffee. In fact, I believe that's why I need more cold brew than expected to let it shine through a bit more. This beer has a real decent malt backbone that is NOT cloyingly sweet. I think the 50/50 blend of light malt and maris otter really made it here.

If you're sick of drinking Coffee IPAs and are sick of tasting burnt coffee... I HIGHLY suggest you try this out and then post back here to let us know what you thought.

I'll be sending out a few bottles of this to some people on the board with trades for some feedback.

Anyone in Orange County that wants to try and give feedback? Hit me up and let me know.
Great write-up and tasting notes! I wish I could get a bottle but Colorado's a little far. Thanks for all the details and for touching base throughout the process.

Looks like a Coffee IPA's on deck. Any future changes or final notes for anyone planning on giving it a try?

Old 06-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #28
TahoeRy
Recipes 

I agree, great write up and the beer Looks Awesome! I love that 50/50 mix of maris and 2 row. Cant wait to try it!

Im gonna put this one on my list as well.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #29
pkrath84
Recipes 

Update:

After a few weeks of aging, the coffee flavor has diminished significantly. When I remake this I believe I'll be using 5 oz of cold extract as my starting point and take into account the aging out of the coffee flavor for the possible but likely addition of another .5-1oz on top of that.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #30
TahoeRy
Recipes 

Its a great beer! Very interesting flavors as the coffee adds a complexity that works well with the hoppyness of the IPA backbone. I sent you a PM Peter.

Nicely done!

photo.jpg  

Last edited by TahoeRy; 07-23-2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: The picture rotated for some reason but you get the idea.

Quick Reply