Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Help formulating Coffee IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 04:17 AM   #11
pkrath84
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 51

TahoeRy, dont sweat it buddy. All the advice is appreciated as this is all part of the learning process and experimental for me anyhow.

To answer your question though, I really think both methods can provide similar results in imparting coffee flavor. The only significant differences I see would be determining how much coffee ground steeped for how much time for the 5 gallon batch VS. how much standardized extract at bottling. Because I know I can make my extract the same way with the same result and add a little bit at a time to my bottling bucket, I feel this will give me more control. Also, I'll admit that I'm just more comfortable using the extract because this is how I brew my coffee every week and it takes some of the additional guess work out due to being familiar with the process knowing what to expect and how to manipulate the end result. It really just boils down to be being more comfortable making the extract first and adding a little bit at a time.

The more I think about it though, the more I want to split this into two 3 gallon batches and do each half using a different method. I just have to convince myself to do the additional work... It would give me an excuse to get the 3 gallon carboys since I already have a split batch Imperial Stout in the works with 2 different sets of adjuncts planned out. I really wanted to have this Coffee Imperial IPA ready for spring/summer first so just maybe...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #12
pkrath84
Recipes 

I just picked up a few 3 gal carboys. I'll probably pickup the ingredients for this tomorrow and brew on Tuesday late afternoon.

Here's what I came up with on beersmith. I'll probably do the extract brew and steep the crystal malt

coffee-ipa-extract.jpg   grain-coffee-ipa.jpg  

Old 04-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #13
ipaman00
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 118

I got a chance to talk to the one of the brewers from Aleman briefly, and they do add the coffee post fermentation and he did mention it was a very small amount. If I see them at anymore beer events I'll be sure to ask them more questions about their recipe.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
ipaman00
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 118

November 13 facebook post: Our recipe for the Dayman calls for 13 lbs of grain. The recipe for our upcoming collaboration with Stone and Two Brothers, 5 tons! Yeeowza!!

Old 05-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #15
pkrath84
Recipes 

Sweet, thanks for the info!

Old 05-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
pkrath84
Recipes 

So now that the wedding's come and gone I finally found a few hours to put this recipe in the pot. I made this as an extract recipe.

After a few boil overs and a bunch of fuss, I came up short on my gravity by .005 at 1.075. I also changed things up and decided to do a late malt addition with half of my extract and didn't care to adjust my hop additions to make up for the utilizaiton since I was using so much hop later on in the boil. Things taste fine so far. The wort's nice and sweet with a lot of citrus/grapefruit from all of the citra pellets I used.

This one's sitting in a swamp cooler in my downstairs tub as the garage is a little on the warm side these days. Ferm temperature is about 65 and I MAY put forth the effort to bring it down a few more degrees. A fan perhaps. She's chugging along with a blow off tube but the Wyeast 1056 I used isn't much of a violent fermentor that I can recall.

coffee-ipa.jpg  

Old 06-10-2013, 03:12 AM   #17
pkrath84
Recipes 

I took my gravity reading today and ended up at 1.016 down from 1.075 with an estimated attenuation of 78% not bad!

My wife did me proud when she screamed after tasting it and said "It tastes like pliney!" bless her little heart

She's a tasty brew and since I already had the sample I messed around with some heavy instant coffee just to get an idea of where I want to end up in the next week or so. I must say, the Citra and Cascade combo is AMAZING for this. The coffee provides a nice full body and tones down the alcohol astringency immensely, but still gives that burnt coffee taste. I hope my cold brew does OK in this!

The last photo is a side by side of the original beer (left) and coffee IPA (right). Dont mind the haze, I went too far down with my thief!

Here's some photo's. I wish there was smell-o-vision!

graviry.jpg   bomb.jpg   coffee1.jpg   comp.jpg  

Old 06-10-2013, 03:46 AM   #18
pkrath84
Recipes 

Just FYI - For my dryhop, I went with:
2.0oz Citra
0.5oz Cascade

I'll leave them for 5 days, then go to secondary to clear out before bottling

Also, for this extract recipe, I recommend just using all 6lbs of Marris Otter and all 6lbs of Pale Malt rather than cutting back. Why waste, am I right? That would have helped make up for some of my lost gravity points, too.

As written, this tastes great except for the burnt coffee. I have a good feeling about this one (especially using the cold brew) - cant wait to give out samples!

Old 06-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #19
pkrath84
Recipes 

I wanted to know if anyone could chime in on my dry hopping process. I've been partial to dry hopping for up to a week in primary, but I want to make sure I get the clearest beer I can. With that said, am I thinking wrong to rack to secondary AFTER my dry hop to give more of a chance for stuff do drop out? I mean, I cant lose that much hop after a cay of clearing, right?

Or should I just let things settle out for a while in my bottling bucket? A few hours?

FYI - I currently do not have the capability to cold crash the carboy. But SOON!

Cheers!

Old 06-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #20
TahoeRy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use secondary all the time to clear my beers as I dont have the abililty to cold crash either. If you dry hop the way your talking about you might lose some of that dry-hopped goodness due to the aging. One thing that has been popular lately is to do double dry hops where you dry hop for the last few days in primary then go do secondary and dry hop again the last few days there.

I used to dry hop for 5-7 days until I heard a podcast with Mitch Steele from Stone Brewing. In the podcast he states that its best to dry hop for 2-3 days as thats all the time it takes to extract the best parts of the hop without risking any grassy or vegetal flavors. He said that then longer dry hops start to extract the off-flavors and that all of the new thinking with dry hopping is that shorter is better. I switched to this method and find that I get all that I want out of shorter dry hops.

If I was in your shoes, I would transfer to secondary and dry hop for the last 3 days along with the coffee addition, if thats where you are going to add it.

Quick Reply