The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Help with first wheat beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
WildGingerBrewing
ISDID, I has it
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1898 Times on 1877 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Help with first wheat beer

I'm going to make my first wheat beer this weekend. Does the wheat have enough diastatic power to convert itself or do I need to add some 2 row? I was thinking this:

8 lbs German Wheat Malt
1 lb Honey Malt
4 oz Crystal 10
8 ozCara-pils
And maybe 1 lb of honey

If the wheat can't convert itself then I will cut it back to 4 lbs and add 4 lbs of Pilsner. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 866 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 1921

Yes, wheat malt can be used as a base, in that it converts itself without needing other grains. But I've never made a nearly 100% wheat beer as you're suggesting. I usually have the wheat malt make up around 50% of the grain bill or less, like this recipe http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/WP...-Pale-Ale.html

Old 03-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Benthic
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Depends on what style he's brewing. If he's making a Hefe then he needs at least 50% wheat. Looks like he's at roughly 80%, which should be fine.

Jason, what are you brewing?

Brian

Old 03-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
WildGingerBrewing
ISDID, I has it

Recipes 

Brewing a Honey Wheat for lack of a better explanation. I guess if I don't add the honey extract though it will just be a plain ole wheat beer. Never really thought about a style. Not a heffe. Don't want the banan and clove. Just a nice quaffable "light" beer to drink.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
WildGingerBrewing
ISDID, I has it

Recipes 

Pappers, after looking at your recipe (thanks by the way) I guess this would be a Wheat Pale Ale?????

Old 03-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Merritt View Post
Brewing a Honey Wheat for lack of a better explanation. I guess if I don't add the honey extract though it will just be a plain ole wheat beer. Never really thought about a style. Not a heffe. Don't want the banan and clove. Just a nice quaffable "light" beer to drink.
For a nice american wheat, a light summer beer, I'd mix in 50% of some variety of barley malt.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Merritt View Post
Pappers, after looking at your recipe (thanks by the way) I guess this would be a Wheat Pale Ale?????
That was just me being silly. The thing with 'wheat' beers is there is such a variety of styles under that label. The german hefeweisen, the belgian witbier, the american wheat. But, even in the american wheat, you've got a huge variety of beers. Three Floyds Gumball Head, for example, has flavor similarities to an APA - I think its closer to that than a wheat beer like Goose Island's 312, which is very light and quaffable. The recipe I shared with you is more pale ale-ish, hence my tongue-in-cheek name WPA.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
WildGingerBrewing
ISDID, I has it

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
That was just me being silly. The thing with 'wheat' beers is there is such a variety of styles under that label. The german hefeweisen, the belgian witbier, the american wheat. But, even in the american wheat, you've got a huge variety of beers. Three Floyds Gumball Head, for example, has flavor similarities to an APA - I think its closer to that than a wheat beer like Goose Island's 312, which is very light and quaffable. The recipe I shared with you is more pale ale-ish, hence my tongue-in-cheek name WPA.
I liked it though, albeit not a "real" style. And I really never gave much thought to style guidelines, I just put together a recipe that sounded good. Then a friend asked about the diastatic power and it made me post the question. So I don't know what it is, but I'm calling it Wild Wheat for now. I'll do a starch conversion test after the 90 minute mash just to be sure, but it sounds like I'll be good. Thanks for the responses.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
deadscott
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The only thing to watch out for is wheat has no husk which means you could end in a stuck sparge. You may want to through in some rice hulls to help out. I have pulled off a 70/30 wheat to pale malt but have always been a little afraid to go lower for that reason. Who knows the honey malt and crystal malts may provide enoguh to get the job done. Good luck. Hope it turns out well.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
WildGingerBrewing
ISDID, I has it

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadscott View Post
The only thing to watch out for is wheat has no husk which means you could end in a stuck sparge. You may want to through in some rice hulls to help out. I have pulled off a 70/30 wheat to pale malt but have always been a little afraid to go lower for that reason. Who knows the honey malt and crystal malts may provide enoguh to get the job done. Good luck. Hope it turns out well.
I wondered about that. I've never used rice hulls. How much would would you recommend?

Quick Reply