The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > HELP! with deciding on new brew equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
RobMcDeal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default HELP! with deciding on new brew equipment

So heres some background first:
So recently I have gone to a 18" 25 gal ss mash tun for 15 gallon batches and am using a 20 ss gallon pot for the boil. I currently am fly sparging with a home made device that has worked fairly well. I have not however done an all grain batch using my new pots and have been using my old 5 gallon system. I really would like to use my new equipment though I have some dilemmas.

My questions are:
Should I use a bazooka screen or should I spend the money for the false bottom?
Also If i go with the false bottom do I need to cover the entire bottom of the pot or cold i use a smaller screen like around 14"?
Using a propane burner would I have any problems burning the grains using the bazooka screen?

Thanks for all your help
Prost!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
amrmedic
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you are using a direct fired MLT, then go with a false bottom that fits the bottom of the MLT. I think you would nhave a higher probability of scorching your grains using a bazooka screen as there is no dead space between the flame and grain. Also, your efficiency will be low using a bazooka screen. I do not know if a bazooka screen would be able to accomodate the weight of grain required for 15 gallon batches without crushing itself.

Since you spent the money on this shiny new equipment, get the false bottom to get the most out of your money.

Thats my 2 cents.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
texasbrewer73
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrmedic View Post
Since you spent the money on this shiny new equipment, get the false bottom to get the most out of your money.
+1

If you're going to do it, do it right. Aside from the grain scorching concern, the bazooka screen seems woefully inadequate for you eqpt.

Quick Reply