Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Help with Chill haze please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
trigger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Help with Chill haze please

So, I'm not sure on the exact quantity, but I would estimate that I've brewed around 50 batches since going AG. In the past I've had some come out clear, and others a bit hazy, but this summer I haven't had a single beer that was truly clear. I use irish moss, and have even tried to double the amount lately with no success. On a lot of my ales I don't really care, but on the lighter ones I would like to be able to make them sparkle.

My Process:
Double infusion mash (protein rest for 20 mins at 122ish, then sacc rest for 60 mins at 148-154 depending on style) followed by 10 min mash out.
Vorlauf until I can see my fingerprints through the clear hose (2-3 quarts).
Fly sparge, heating the runnings gently once 1 gal has been collected.
Vigorous boil for 90 mins (I usually get hot break almost to the lip of my keggle).
Gravity drain through CFC into fermenter (chill from boiling to 65ish)
Pitch yeast etc.

I get awesome cold break into the fermenter, and from my understanding that shouldn't re-dissolve at fermentation temps. I cold crash after kegging and draw off and settled yeast.

I could use gelatin I suppose, but is there something different that I could do to not have to start using gelatin? In these lighter beers I'm not using any wheat or adjuncts except my blonde that has 1.5 lbs flaked corn.

Finally, I'm personally not concerned about the haze other than that people comment on how my beer is "obviously homebrew" because of it. I'm probably just looking to fix something that's not broken, but I've been thinking of entering a couple of competitions and I'd like to be able to get rid of it before that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 01:54 AM   #2
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 795 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 550

I have been battling the same issue. I have only tried once but was suprized with the results of cold crashing in the primary.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:28 AM   #3
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 329 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 53

How is your pH? You want to keep your mash below 5.5 or polyphenols will floc together creating haze. Try using Polyclar to help some.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:19 AM   #4
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I had used Irish Moss with mixed results in the past. I went to whirfloc tabs three months ago and haven't had a problem with chill haze since. You could also try Clarity Ferm from White Labs.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:39 AM   #5
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 11

In 13 years, I have never made a batch that DIDN'T have chill haze during the first couple weeks at serving temps. They all eventually clear up after being cold for a while.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:09 AM   #6
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I do use the 5.2 stabilizer and test PH, so that's hopefully not it. I will try cold conditioning longer, and cold crashing primary.

Like I said this is more of an annoyance than a problem, so I don't know if I'm ready to jump up to clarity ferm yet.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts

How are you testing pH and what is your water profile?

Drinking: RIS, Coffee RIS, Jalapeno RIS, Heavy Hopper v2, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel, Wee-Heavy

Old 10-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
Mateo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
In 13 years, I have never made a batch that DIDN'T have chill haze during the first couple weeks at serving temps. They all eventually clear up after being cold for a while.
+1

In 24 years of brewing I have not had a batch that has not presented chill haze. 90+% will clear after about 3 to 4 weeks conditioning. The only time I have used finings is with Kolsch yeast that never flocs.

For me chill haze is unpleasant and a detractor from the beer. There is no reason your light beers (low SRM) should not look like a commercial example for clarity (to the naked eye).

I also use sauermalz in all of my light beers and mash around 5.3pH. So mash pH while a factor should not be a delimiter in achieving clarity.

m.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
markg388
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

the gelatin won't solve your problem on it's own, but i've read that if you chill the beer first and THEN rack it onto gelatin then you're golden. I'm trying that out in these next couple days, we'll see how it goes.

other than that, use cold + patience. some beers of mine take weeks in the firdge to get clear and pretty, others just take 4-5 days. mystery to me too. even my hefeweizens clear up.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
Naked_Eskimo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Used gelatin for the first time a couple of batches ago. Added gelatin (1 week) after cold crashing my primary (4 days) in the keezer. Beer came out CRYSTAL clear. I've never had a beer come out that clean -- so +1 to gelatin~

Quick Reply