Help with all grain recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walke2jd

Reaction score
I went to my local hbs and I picked up a recipe that they had on hand. The original recipe is for extract but they converted it to all grain for me. Problem is, this is only my second all grain brew and I have no idea how to brew this since they did not have any instructions for the all grain version. Could someone please give me a quick and dirty all grain recipe for this extract recipe? I dont know specifically what they gave me in terms of grain but they used beersmith for the conversion.

Beach Ball Blonde Ale

7lbs Light LME

.25lb Wildflower honey

.25lb Cara Pils

.25lb Crystal malt

1oz cascade (60min)

.5oz Willamette (15min)

.25oz Willamette (1min)

WLP001 California Ale yeast

OG: 1.052 IBU: 22.9 SRM: 3.6 Alcohol %: 5.17

Thanks in advance for the help.

so you have the grains crushed and in a bag correct? since you already have the grains, my conversion would be irrelivent, the process is what I think you are after right?

What I would do....

Sub 10 lbs of Pale Malt for the LME, everything else is the same.

Grains should be crushed and mashed in for 1 hour at 150 degrees, no higher than 155.

sparge at 170 deg.

Bring the wert to boil and begin hop additions.

At the end of the boil, add the honey (don't boil it).

Cool to 70 deg., OG should be around 1.056 - 1.059, transfer to FV, Pitch yeast, ferment at 70 deg for 14 days, add botteling sugar and bottle or force carbonate and condition.

Check your receipt, should list what they did.

Quick and dirty guess, they converted the LME to roughly 9.5lbs of 2 row.

Grain bill total is probably about 10.25 lbs, or so.

Assuming usual equipment and about 70% efficiency, and what I think you are looking for:

Mash In: 12.50 quarts water at 169.

Hold at 154 degrees for 1 hour.

Mash Out. Add 7 qts water at 198, and hold temp for 10 minutes.

Sparge with 2.5 gallons of water.

Pre Boil gravity roughly 1.044 or so.

Then you should be on target from there.

Thanks. That is what I needed. Should have been more clear that I already have all the ingredients, though I don't know exactly what those ingredients are. Next time ill start with an all grain recipe so I don't need to try and convert.
Thanks for the help.

Back