Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Help with All Grain

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #21
hawkeyes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Quad Cities, IL
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkeee277 View Post
So when you batch sparge you should start checking the gravity of the 2nd runnings when they're about halfway drained. If you get down the 1014 range, slow it down and check more frequently. If you get to 1010 stop. Getting that low will extract undesirable flavors from your grains. Also, with a recipe that clean and simple there is no place for off flavors to hide. I would look at your water too...... Are you using tap water or distilled?
I will start checking my batch sparge. I used tap water but I am thinking of trying RO water on my next beer. If I do go with RO water, should I use Calcium Chloride and/or Gypsum?
__________________
hawkeyes is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #22
VikingChrisColby
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bastrop, Texas
Posts: 95
Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyes View Post
Hello,
It might be a grainy taste but I am not 100% sure.
A grainy taste is how some people describe a small amount of astringency in their beer. It is possible that you sparged too much (collecting too much wort from your grain bed) or that your grain bed temperature rose above 170 °F (77 °C) near the end of sparging. (Check your thermometer and calibrate, if needed.)
If the grainy taste is a slight amount of astringency, this will not age out.
The next time you brew, stop collecting wort when the gravity of the runnings dip below 2 °Plato (SG 1.008) or the pH rises above 5.8. The latter is a better indicator. You can also quickly cool and taste the final runnings and quit collecting wort when they get overly tannic (astringent).


Chris Colby
Editor
beerandwinejournal.com
__________________
VikingChrisColby is offline
CA_Mouse Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #23
sparkeee277
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 50
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyes View Post
I will start checking my batch sparge. I used tap water but I am thinking of trying RO water on my next beer. If I do go with RO water, should I use Calcium Chloride and/or Gypsum?
Viking Chris is right on....

It depends on the style of beer your are brewing and what is in your tap water. To get my balance in the right range I use gyp to drop my pH, and baking soda to raise it. But you have to look at your water report and see what you're starting with. The formulas take a little figuring, but basically, the lighter the color of the beer, the lower the pH needs to be.
There is a great chart and explanation on how to adjust your mash pH in "How to Brew" by John Palmer. You should check it out....... If you use distilled water you can just make your additions based on your recipe and not the water.
__________________
sparkeee277 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #24
hawkeyes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Quad Cities, IL
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingChrisColby View Post
If the grainy taste is a slight amount of astringency, this will not age out.The next time you brew, stop collecting wort when the gravity of the runnings dip below 2 °Plato (SG 1.008) or the pH rises above 5.8. The latter is a better indicator. You can also quickly cool and taste the final runnings and quit collecting wort when they get overly tannic (astringent).
I brewed again yesterday and was keeping an eye on my sparge. I stopped when I was right at 1.008. I am sure that my Blonde Ale was over sparged because I just kept sparging until I reached the amount of wort needed pre-boil.
In fact, I was short on my pre-boil because I stopped. Is there anything I can do to try to collect enough without dropping below 1.008? It seems like I am learning something new every all grain batch.
__________________
hawkeyes is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #25
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,592
Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyes View Post
I brewed again yesterday and was keeping an eye on my sparge. I stopped when I was right at 1.008. I am sure that my Blonde Ale was over sparged because I just kept sparging until I reached the amount of wort needed pre-boil.
In fact, I was short on my pre-boil because I stopped. Is there anything I can do to try to collect enough without dropping below 1.008? It seems like I am learning something new every all grain batch.
You can top up with water if your sparge runnings get too low, and your efficiency is ok.

One thing that can be responsible for a "grainy" flavor is if the mash pH is too high. Using tap water often is just fine, but many water supplies (like mine) have too much bicarbonate to make a really good light colored beer. I have to use reverse osmosis water, and/or use some acid in the mash to get a decent mash pH, and many others do as well.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #26
hawkeyes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Quad Cities, IL
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
You can top up with water if your sparge runnings get too low, and your efficiency is ok.

One thing that can be responsible for a "grainy" flavor is if the mash pH is too high. Using tap water often is just fine, but many water supplies (like mine) have too much bicarbonate to make a really good light colored beer. I have to use reverse osmosis water, and/or use some acid in the mash to get a decent mash pH, and many others do as well.
That's what I did this time around. I got Bru'n water. I used RO Water, acid malt, gypsum, epsom salt, and Calcium Chloride. It was a very easy task so I am going to start doing this from now on. My tap water is very hard here, I am sure the water had something to do with this off flavor.
__________________
hawkeyes is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #27
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,592
Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyes View Post
That's what I did this time around. I got Bru'n water. I used RO Water, acid malt, gypsum, epsom salt, and Calcium Chloride. It was a very easy task so I am going to start doing this from now on. My tap water is very hard here, I am sure the water had something to do with this off flavor.
Sounds good- except for the epsom salt (as that's tricky to use and generally not needed). You don't need epsom salt or gypsum for a blonde ale, and probably should stick with just calcium chloride for that.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 09:48 PM   #28
hawkeyes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Quad Cities, IL
Posts: 244
Default

So second time around I made a Blonde Ale with RO Water. I used the water additives for 'yellow balanced' profile in Bru'n water. I am still getting the grainy aftertaste. I am not quite sure what I am doing wrong. The water should be fine, the mash was spot on. I was checking the gravity during the sparge. I also used acid malt to keep the pH down. There was no husks or grains getting into the wort.

__________________
hawkeyes is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hoppo's Rustic Motorized Grain Mill Cabinet and Grain Storage Bin Hoppopotomus DIY Projects 148 02-07-2013 08:30 PM
first all grain in awhile. I have questions. Mashing/grain ratio mistake Krausen89 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 10-02-2012 02:59 PM
How much grain and water to make a All Grain yeast starter? Beer-Baron Fermentation & Yeast 4 01-09-2011 09:13 PM
Grain mill and bulk grain or kegging system? RayInUT Equipment/Sanitation 55 04-14-2010 03:13 PM
Good Grain Absorption Factor and Water/Grain Ratio? Mr. Mojo Rising All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 03-13-2008 05:28 PM