New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Help with adjunct/specialty partial mash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
aeviaanah
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Help with adjunct/specialty partial mash

I'm brewing an american pilsner tomorrow and need help with the mash procedure. Here is the grist

6lb Pilsner LME
1lb flaked corn
1lb rice
1lb aromatic malt (munich)
4oz carapils

Ive never partial mashed with adjuncts and specialty grains. How should I approach this?

http://hopville.com/brewer/aeviaanah

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 01:34 AM   #2
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I don't know if Aromatic malt has enough enzymes to convert the rice and corn, you should really partial mash with a base grain. For your recipe, I would use a Pilsner malt base. You need enough enzymes to convert the starches in the aromatic, corn, and rice to sugars.

Can you sub part of the pilsner extract for pils malt?

Old 09-08-2013, 01:57 AM   #3
aeviaanah
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie_Man View Post
I don't know if Aromatic malt has enough enzymes to convert the rice and corn, you should really partial mash with a base grain. For your recipe, I would use a Pilsner malt base. You need enough enzymes to convert the starches in the aromatic, corn, and rice to sugars.

all of my ingredients are purchased and i can only brew tomorrow. LHBS is closed tomorrow.
i have amylase enzyme. will this help?

Old 09-08-2013, 01:59 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3858 Times on 2819 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie_Man View Post

Aromatic malt generally can convert itself (depending on brand), but it doesn't have enough diastastic power to convert adjuncts. I agree that this recipe needs base malt, or won't convert fully.

The rice should either be Minute rice, flaked rice, or fully cooked before using. A cereal mash would work great.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
aeviaanah
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Aromatic malt generally can convert itself (depending on brand), but it doesn't have enough diastastic power to convert adjuncts. I agree that this recipe needs base malt, or won't convert fully.

The rice should either be Minute rice, flaked rice, or fully cooked before using. A cereal mash would work great.
Aromatic malt is from Briess. Would using amylase enzyme do the trick?

On a side note, whats the difference between Aromatic malt and munich malt?

Old 09-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
aeviaanah
Recipes 

I mashed BIAB 1.25 qt/lb at 156 for 60minutes and got 75% efficiency. I supplemented 1/2 tsp/gal amylase enzyme. Mashed out at 180F.

Quick Reply