Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Hello, Double Batch Sparge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
hoptualBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default Hello, Double Batch Sparge

I have been having troubles with my efficiencies since I began all-grain brewing roughly 8 months ago. During this time I was doing single batch sparging and hitting 60-65% efficiencies. After talking with a local brewer, he recommended I try double batch sparging or fly sparging. Since I dont quite have the equipment yet for fly sparging I chose to do try double batch sparging first.

Yesterday, brewday of a big milk stout yielded me with an 84% efficiency! A 20%+ jump, which I am very satisfied with. All mechanical variables were the same as prior mashes with the exception conducting a double batch sparge vs. single batch sparge.

So, if anyone is having trouble with low efficiencies and has not tried to step up to a double batch sparge - it's a must! Don't wait as long as I did

Blog - thehomebrewster.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
steber
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Did you just split your single sparge water volumes in half for a double sparge

Old 08-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

It's baffling to me how this happens for some and still others (such as Denny) have experimented with it heavily and saw no appreciable increase in efficiency with double-batch sparging...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Kieran
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The same thing happened to me. I was consistently hitting 60% on the dot with a single batch sparge. When I split up my sparge water I immediately started hitting 80-85% on each batch.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My last two beers I have gone to a single batch sparge. I have noticed I lost about 10% on each batch. I thought I was just doing something wrong. I think next time I'll go back to a double batch sparge and see what happens.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts

I don't understand how this could be possible.

Each subsequent sparge will extract less and less sugar; to suggest that efficiency can increase 20-25% with a second sparge sounds just plain crazy to me. I don't have my numbers in front of me, but I always measure the gravity of my first and second runnings, and on "normal" 5-6% ABV beers (pale ales, ESBs, and the like), I'm pretty sure my second runnings are in the 1.012 range. Yet another sparge wouldn't get me much more than about 1.006, which is almost pure water at that point.

I used to double-sparge, but saw maybe a 3-4% difference in efficiency. Since I typically get about 75% with a single batch sparge, I see no reason to double it.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
xjmox14x
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
It's baffling to me how this happens for some and still others (such as Denny) have experimented with it heavily and saw no appreciable increase in efficiency with double-batch sparging...
I'm in this boat as well. I went to a double batch sparge and am still only at around 65%. I'd love to take the time to pick it apart and see why I'm only hitting that.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Who said 20-25%? 4-5% is typical. If one gains more than that, it causes me to consider the longer rest times and ramped temps are completing what is normally incomplete conversion.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
Tyru007
Recipes 

I also always get 72-75% using a single batch sparge on a typical recipe. Tried double sparge on two different batches and yielded about 2-3% better efficiency. About the same increase I observed with fly sparging. Wasn't worth it so I went back to single batch sparge.

Another reason I don't do double sparges is that the pH starts to climb to a level that can start extracting unwanted tanins from the grain bed (unless you adjust the pH of the sparge water).

However, I'm going to throw a second sparge in my next brew (an AB Jr Rebrew) and collect separately just to see how much I get.

Conditioning: none
On Tap: Patriot Pale Ale, Bock, AB Clone, Hard cider

Old 08-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

One other factor to consider is deadspace. Since batch sparging works on the principal of dilution of the trapped wort in the grain (absorption) it also applies to wort trapped below the drain height. Conclusion: multiple batch infusions will show a greater efficiency gain the more deadspace you have.

Quick Reply