Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Hefeweizen Split Batch = Hefeweizen And Dunkelweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 02:55 AM   #1
matt81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Hefeweizen Split Batch = Hefeweizen And Dunkelweizen

Hi Everybody,

I have an upcoming Oktobefest party. I've been debating if I should have hefeweizen or dunkelweizen on tap at my party. I came up with a solution of having both but only brewing once!? Please tell me if you think this would work....

step 1: 24 Hours before brew day cold steep dark grains (chocolate wheat, roast barley, carafa III...etc)
step 2: Brew a 10 gallon, all grain batch of hefeweizen with a decoction mash
step 3: prep dark grain cold steep for wort
step 4: transfer hefeweizen into two - 6.5 gallon carboys
step 5: pour sanitary dark grain wort into one of the carboys
step 6: ferment the two batches at different temps to give beers completely different flavor and aroma. hefeweizen at 63 and dunkelweizen at 70.
step 7: ferment in kegs right before final gravity.

any ideas or opninions would be much appreciated. i searched for a similar thread before posting and found nothing like what i am thinking?

cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
DrHop
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I made a dunklewisen a while ago with chocolate malt and if I did it again I'd get the color from other souces like Munich. It was just too roasty.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
skibb
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Cold steeping would definitely cut down on the roasty flavors and astringency related to highly kilned grains - that being said I would personally use more carafa III (special) in the cold-steep blend than any of the others listed just to make sure I primarily get color and not roast. I would probably do a 1/3: choco wheat/carafa

Quick Reply