headspace in kettles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myguitarishot

Reaction score
So i'm thinking of upgrading my system. Currently, 5 gal igloo cooler (round) for hot liquor tank, 15 gal igloo cooler (square) for mash tun, and a keggle for kettle. I'd like to just get 3 stainless steel pots, but i'm curious...if i were to buy say, 25 gallon vessels, would there be a quality issue when i only did 5 gallon batches? I want to be able to brew whatever size and scale tickles my fancy, but not at the expense of my staple 5 gallon batches.

any advice would be appreciated.

The only issues I can think of are:

Grain bed depth if you fly sparge wouldn't be good

More boil off from a wider pot.

Would take some finaggling but no real issue.

So i'm thinking of upgrading my system. Currently, 5 gal igloo cooler (round) for hot liquor tank, 15 gal igloo cooler (square) for mash tun, and a keggle for kettle. I'd like to just get 3 stainless steel pots, but i'm curious...if i were to buy say, 25 gallon vessels, would there be a quality issue when i only did 5 gallon batches? I want to be able to brew whatever size and scale tickles my fancy, but not at the expense of my staple 5 gallon batches.

any advice would be appreciated.[/QUOt
You don't need but one, 25 gallon pot, you would use that for the boil kettle, you can use the keggle for the hot liquor tank and your 60 quart cooler for the mash tun, of course you will need 2 burners, one for the boiler and one for the hot liquor tank,do a batch sparge and you are ready.

Oh, and if you go with the 25 gallon boiler, let me suggest the jet burner by King kooker, it will do the job, good luck.:rockin:

One problem with some bigger pots is there is more loss due to pot size and the placement of the outlet than what you have we have a 2o gallon pot and we lose about 1/2 gal for that pot. We have a 45 gallon mash tun and lose about a gallon of wort (which we could reduce if needed by tipping)

I have three 25 gallon pots and making 10-15 gallons is not a problem. For 5 gallons I use my 10 gallon to mash in. I would think mashing 5 gallons session beer would be pretty thin. The pots are about 21 inches wide.

You could get away with a 20 gallon mash tun and be happy

oakbarn said:
One problem with some bigger pots is there is more loss due to pot size and the placement of the outlet than what you have we have a 2o gallon pot and we lose about 1/2 gal for that pot. We have a 45 gallon mash tun and lose about a gallon of wort (which we could reduce if needed by tipping)

Do you use a dip tube? I don't think I lose but a pint of wort, tops.

Latest posts

Back