Head retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narl79

Reaction score
Hey guys Ive been reading these forums for a while now and Ive been having a hard time finding info on how to get a good head on my beer. Any threads I could look at or advice will be great thanks.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Some grains help build foam, while others help retain it.
I have found that grains higher in protein(ex. 6 row, wheat, rye) help build a good head. I have also noticed that the higher my mash temperature is, the thicker the head is. I am assuming it is from all of the residual/unfermented sugars left in the beer.
Grains like carapils help maintain your head. Carafoam is the same grain, but grown in Europe. I have found that 8 to 12 oz. of carapils does a very good job, and more is overkill.
Other grains that contribute to foam stability are the caramel/crystal grains. such as caramel 20, caramel 60, etc, etc.
1 more observation I have made... letting a beer condition in the bottle a little longer gives better foam performance. If it seems flat at 3 weeks, let them sit another week.

Are you doing all grain or extract?

All grain. As I read this I remembered I did an ipa with some caripils in it and it had a great head on it so tha makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I find that including oats in my grain bill really helps with head retention. They can be worked into a lot of different beer styles as well. I really enjoy using them.

No problem.

A winning combo for me is mashing at 153*, using 8 oz. of carapils, priming to get 2.7/2.8 volumes carbonation, and letting bottle condition for at least 3 weeks.

My buddies will "play" with the beer I give them...seeing how high above the rim of the glass they can get the head before it falls.

Just remember that Carapils adds no color or flavor to the beer it adds unfermentable sugars, I prefer to mash at a higher temp and increase my crystal grains to aid in head retention.

Flaked barley is a great way but creates haze, so it's best for darker beers only. For lighter beers carapils/carafoam is awesome. Caramel/crystal also contributes.

benj, have you noticed the "oily" consistency oats impart? How does that work on lighter beer styles?

ziggy13, I haven't noticed any "oily" consistency, but to be totally honest, i haven't done a side by side comparison with and without oats, maybe it is a bit oily in comparison to no oats, but I just don't notice. I also usually give myt oats a light toast, maybe that changes things? I'm by no means an expert :) I have a standby brown ale recipie I enjoy I've always used oats in, maybe I'll try it without next time to see.

I had never thought of flaked barley for head retention, I may give it a try in the new year...

Having clean glass ware will also help head retention. I used to use dish soap to clean my glasses and always had crap head retention. Started cleaning my glasses with oxy clean then sanitizing with star san, and my head retention has been better.

Having clean glass ware will also help head retention. I used to use dish soap to clean my glasses and always had crap head retention. Started cleaning my glasses with oxy clean then sanitizing with star san, and my head retention has been better.
I like oxi for the way it makes the glasses shine, but haven't had any luck in the head retention with it.

I like oxi for the way it makes the glasses shine, but haven't had any luck in the head retention with it.
I have found that grains higher in protein(ex. 6 row, wheat, rye) help build a good head. I have also noticed that the higher my mash temperature is, the thicker the head is. I am assuming it is from all of the residual/unfermented sugars left in the beer.
Grains like carapils help maintain your head. Carafoam is the same grain, but grown in Europe. I have found that 8 to 12 oz. of carapils does a very good job, and more is overkill.
Other grains that contribute to foam stability are the caramel/crystal grains. such as caramel 20, caramel 60, etc, etc.
1 more observation I have made... letting a beer condition in the bottle a little longer gives better foam performance. If it seems flat at 3 weeks, let them sit another week.

I'm doing all grain ...

I made a couple batches that wouldn't form a head. It had to do with the amount of oxyclean I used and the single rinse as it left sufficient residue in the bottles to kill the heading on 2 batches before I caught on. Go sparing on the oxyclean and rinse and then rinse again in a different tub/pail. I do mine in the sink and use the faucet for the second rinse to be sure I'm not carrying detergent to the bottle.

Chit malt is the most foam positive malt/grain you can buy.. I promise

20-30 minute rest at 160-162 also helps a to

Kinda depends on the yeast but ideally you want to get the yeast out of the beer as soon as is possible. Beer sitting on yeast generally results in less than optimum head formation and retention. Again it depends on which yeast strain though.

I’m obsessed with foam and do everything I can to promote its formation and staying power..

1759DE17-AE63-4A0F-ABDA-CB2E26834A9B.jpeg

Back