Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Having trouble with temps in step mashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
doghousechef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Having trouble with temps in step mashing

Help! I'm getting very frustrated with not being able to hit the temps I want. I've done about 7 all-grain brews now and consistently end up about 10 degrees lower than what I'm shooting for when in saccharification temps. The past two or three mashes, I've done a beta-glucan rest(~110) and hit those temps just fine. I'm using brewer's friend step mash infusion calculator to figure out my volumes of boiling water. These past two times, I've gone ahead and put in enough water to reach the sacc temps, which ended up being 2/3 again as much as it calls for, giving me a super thin mash( ~3.5qt/lb). I've been preheating my mash tun ( a large Coleman Xtreme), and I just checked my thermometer (209 at boiling, 32.7 in ice water). I'm using a digital probe thermometer. When I checked the mash temp with an instant read and the temps were 3 degrees apart. This was after adding all the water. What can I do to hit close to the temps I want at a reasonable mash thickness?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

How thin is the first rest?

Secondaries - Sunday Night Hoppy Pale Ale
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Baltic Porter

Old 01-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
KellyK
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Have you considered performing a decoction instead of a water infusion to raise mash temps?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
doghousechef
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joety View Post
How thin is the first rest?
Last time I did a 1-1 dough-in, right now I'm doing an oatmeal stout and the 1-1 looked too thin to me and I ended up with a 1.3 qt/lb dough-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyK View Post
Have you considered performing a decoction instead of a water infusion to raise mash temps?
I've done one decoction with similar results, sacc rest temp about 10 degrees low with the prescribed volume

Old 01-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Well, I've done a step-mash just once, and I'm pretty sure I started at only 1 qt/lb (maybe even .85). I just barely got the second strike water up to temp before the first step was scheduled to end, but otherwise it went flawless. Next time I'll use more pots.

Secondaries - Sunday Night Hoppy Pale Ale
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Baltic Porter

Old 01-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

What you need is software that accounts for the thermal qualities of your specific mash tun. For example, beer tools pro has a calibration step that teaches the software what the heat capacity of your tun is. Therefore, it takes that into account when you want to change temps.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply