Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Hard time matching numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
LuisLozano13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 19

Default Hard time matching numbers

Hey! So I brewed up some 5gal batches of oatmeal stout and brown ale using Maris otter as base malt, using about 11 pounds of grain per batch and I'm having a hard time matching my numbers, basically for the two recipes I used 70% of Maris otter malt and i was supposed to get an OG of 1.060 for both but instead I'm having OG's of 1.040 for both of the recipes I've adjusted them with table sugar, both recipes were mashed for 45 min and mash out making a total of about 55 min of mashing iodine test shows that there was a full convention of starch to sugars, any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 169

What was your crush like?

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
rmyurick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I would expect a little lower than 1.060, depending on what grains were in your grain bill.

How long did you mash? You can probably get higher #'s by mashing at 60 min to an hour, if yours was less than that.

Assuming it was a contnuous sparge, how long did you sparge/runoff? To get good efficiency, it's best to slow it down a bit so that it takes 45 min to an hour.

The other thing (besides the crush) is how accurate is the 11 lbs.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
RonPopeil
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Extraction efficiency can be improved with a finer crush. I generally don't worry. It's a diminishing returns situation. The more you extract in sugar, the more you extract in the rest of the crap that you don't want. That's why people don't run 5 sparges. Shoot for 70-80% efficiency as a homebrewer. Some pros go up to 85% to save money on grain. For us inefficiency should taste better.

Pipeline:

Paterbiersbier (pils, special roast, caravienne, strisselspalt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Homebrewing as a way to save money is like getting married as a way to always have sex.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #5
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

How about laughtering efficiency? What were your volumes of water in a wort out? Or maybe just your vessel sizes and number of sparges?

Old 06-27-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
LuisLozano13
Recipes 

Likes Given: 19

It was a single batch sparge, I forgot to mention, I brew the same recipe and my numbers matched almost perfect, the exact amount of grain was 11.2 lbs

Old 06-28-2014, 04:48 AM   #7
DurtyChemist
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Pre and post boil volumes?
I would mash 60 minutes as the mash conversion test is only a small sample of a much larger population and unless you stirred the mash very well to get a homogenous sample it could give you a false positive test result.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:01 AM   #8
StubbornBeagleBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisLozano13 View Post
It was a single batch sparge, I forgot to mention, I brew the same recipe and my numbers matched almost perfect, the exact amount of grain was 11.2 lbs
There's a ton of variables here. So you are saying you've brewed the same beer with the same processes (grain crush, water volumes, etc), and had different results? Mash PH can also affect conversion, are you using measuring PH? I'm in farm country & my municipal water varies greatly from one season to the next due to factors like farm runoff, so it's another variable I measure carefully from one batch to the next & try to control.

Quick Reply